Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

10 lies we're told about welfare

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Guardian"]
10 lies we're told about welfare
Has someone made Jim Royle a policy adviser? Millions are being made poorer while we're fobbed off with porkies
Welfare reform, my arse. Has Jim Royle parked his chair, feet up, telly on, in the corridors between the Treasury and the Department for Work and Pensions? Employing him as adviser can be the only explanation for the utter rubbish that boils forth from this government on welfare.
Who else could have dreamed up the bedroom tax, a policy so stupid it forces people to leave their homes and drag themselves around the country in search of nonexistent one-bedroom flats?
That one has to be the result of too many hours in front of Jeremy Kyle (no offence) with the heating on full and a can of super-strength lager. It seems as if that is how this government views ordinary people: feckless and useless – poor, because they brought it on themselves, deliberately.
Maybe the cabinet is confused. Twenty-three millionaires in the one room can get like that. But do you know what, enough. Let's call this government's welfare policy what it is – wrong, nasty and dishonest.
Off the top of my head, I can list 10 porkies they are spinning to justify the latest stage of their attack on our 70-year-old welfare state.
1.  Benefits are too generous
Really? Could you live on £53 a week as Iain Duncan Smith is claiming he could if he had to? Then imagine handing back 14% of this because the government deems you have a "spare room". Could you find the money to pay towards council tax and still afford to eat at the end of the week?
Read More Here
39 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: 10 lies we're told about welfare

Well we do live on £56/week (*2 for two people) and that is NOT on benefits either!  Tongue
Since we have no kids are not deemed to be disabled, and my wife works for the penny's she gets, that is basically what we get at the end of a month. Seems silly working 20 hours a week to be £3 better off doesn't it.  Cry
Last time I registered as unemployed after my 6 months they basically said sorry nowt for you, you can keep coming in, but we will not pay you anything (that was over 2 years ago), I still am unemployed but "not counted" as I don't receive UB. Even if I sign on again tomorrow I still will not receive any UB as I haven't paid any NI for past 2 years. So what do I do?Huh
When I read of the tossers who get £1000's a month on the dole I think something is seriously broken in the system. I agree on the caping of benefit, why pay baby factories?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

HB I'm in the same boat as you. I've had no income for ages and even got a refund from the taxman a few months back. I can't get any help from the state, absolutely none.
It's sick isn't it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

@Hairy Biker
This may be worth a read http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/toppingup.htm#3. You need to have worked full time for 30 years to qualify for the State Pension, otherwise you should consider signing on for N.I. credits (I think!)
Community Veteran

But if you're signing on don't your NI payments get credited for you Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran

Yes, on occasions when I was out of work in the past I signed on anyway to get the NI credits even though I generally didn't get any actual money.
Then they changed the qualification rules and it became irrelevant.
I believe there is a way of claiming NI credits retrospectively though there are time limits. Not sure about the rules on actually buying them, which is also an option for some.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I know about the requirement's but since I only need 8 years credit and have >17 years to go (until they raise the retirement age again) I am not rushing back to sign on again. The absolute bull excrement you get from the DO is stupid. How do you apply for more than 2 jobs a week when there AREN'T that many jobs round here.
I set up a couple of doc's that I changed the date on and submitted them week after week, never looked at obviously  Crazy
@sprite glad you got a refund, last letter I got from IRC said my tax code was BR i.e.if I get a job I will be paying tax immediately no luck there eh?
nadger
Rising Star

The more I read the happier I become as an OAP.  Smiley
gswindale
Grafter

I'd just like to take issue with
2. Benefits are going up
They're not. A 1% "uprating" cap is really a cut. Inflation is at least 2.7% . Essentials like food, fuel and transport are all up by at least that, in many cases far more. Benefits are quickly falling behind the cost of living.

So that's a 1% increase in benefits as opposed to the 0% increase in salaries that the vast majority of the British workforce have received over the past few years then?
I would have thought, although not being a financial analyst, that if you cut the rises you give people; they'll have less to spend (obviously).  Therefore they can't afford certain items (along with the rest of us) which will cause supply to exceed demand and reduce prices of certain goods thus bringing inflation down.  Thereby meaning that benefits would not fall behind the cost of living?
Community Veteran

Quote from: geofftswin
Therefore they can't afford certain items

So you suggest they should spend less on non-essential items like food and heating?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gswindale
Grafter

That's not what I'm suggesting.
However they could spend less on food by buying different items.  I know for a fact that we spend less on drinks now that I've stopped drinking Dr Pepper & drink fruit juice instead.  Squash would again be cheaper in the long run - for instance 750ml of Orange Squash concentrate can be bought for 42p.  Now how many drinks can you get out of that? 
Similarly by planning our meals for the week ahead & ordering online; we save an awful lot of money compared to going in every 3/4 days and thinking what do we need.  Not only that, but there is also less wastage.
I may be partially prejudiced; but I'm going based on what I see happening in my local supermarket and at my "work bus-stop" in town.
Education & encouragement is the key to changing people's habits.
Similarly - how many people have Sky TV these days?  If times get tough, then ditch it or switch to the minimum package.  That would be one of the 1st things I'd do to try & save some pennies if I needed to.
Heating is one thing you cannot do without though and you will note that I specifically said "certain items" the point being that people need to think about what they need and what they want.  Part of the problem these days is that people want more than they can afford or need.
I'd like a newer car; but don't fancy another loan etc. Therefore I'll stick with my current one until I've saved up more cash.  Similarly I'd consider a new camera with more control, but again I don't need one.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[quote="Our Welfare Works"]
The Truth…about Welfare

• A tiny 3% of the welfare spending goes on benefits to unemployed people, but 42% is spent on the elderly and 21% spent on working families.

• If you were in a couple with two kids and lost your job (like the 100′s of people from Jessops) you would receive £111.45 a week in Job Seekers Allowance, out of this you’d have to pay for food, heating, water, clothes, travel etc…

• A single person just laid off, from somewhere like HMV, will only have £71 a week to live on.

• People talk a lot about welfare fraud, but 0.7% of the welfare budget is claimed fraudulently……but at the same time, up to 24% (£11.77bn) of benefits go unclaimed.

• Experts also reckon that the gap between what the government thinks it should receive in tax, versus what it actually gets (the Tax Gap) could be as high as £120 billion.

Read More Here
Community Veteran

Gary, I produced the real figures in the Benefits Culture thread. A few people didn't like them and suggested they were incorrect.  You have now produced figures from the Unite Union. Why would these be more accurate and where does their information come from?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: artmo
Gary, I produced the real figures in the Benefits Culture thread.
What from Dept. of Works & Pensions? please don't make me laugh.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Gary, I produced the real figures in the Benefits Culture thread. A few people didn't like them and suggested they were incorrect.

No I simply suggested that the DWP is known for playing with their numbers. Someone else also pointed out that your source (being a tabloid) was also probably less than realistic.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!