cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

00000000000 phoned today... (scam)

David_W
Rising Star

00000000000 phoned today... (scam)

Just a heads up, had a call show up on caller ID with that number (I'd assume it's routed via skype?) and some nice chap telling me to go to event viewer (after pressing start+r for the run box which no long exists on Windows 7....) and all those error, and how to fix them?  Go to logmein and type this code!  Of course, as soon as he told me the code I told him where to go.  Luckily I took up 20 minutes of his time and no harm done.  I did naturally let him know that I'd been using computers for a long time and I knew exactly what he was up to, and called him several names, including "scum" and told him to go out and get a real job.
I'm just wondering if it's worth emailing logmein with the code number supplied?
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: 00000000000 phoned today... (scam)

I'd quite like one of these to ring me...
err I don't have a start button or run, what's a command prompt?
Oh didn't I mention I have a Mac? Cheesy
Will Moderate For Thanks
David_W
Rising Star

It's my first time with one of those calls, I knew what all the error messages in event viewer were for, one I need to phone MS to fix (activation with 7 issues after a reinstall), but it was pretty funny, though my best guess is they would have used logmein to plant a trojan onto my system to steal my banking details.  I'm wondering if Kaspersky would have picked it up, or maybe I should have played really dumb and led him on a 30 minute wild goose chase before saying "ohh right, sorry, I'm using Linux 7 not Windows, my bad!"
Can BT block 0000000.... numbers?
Lurker
Grafter

I don't think LogMeIn reserve the right to rescind licenses if a customer uses their products in this way.
The only way that somebody can get access to your system is if you go to the logmein123 site and put in the correct pin for an agent (which are session based and only valid for 20mins) and then accept a load of warnings asking you to install activex controls and finally allowing the agent to take full control of your system.
Clearly it must have a degree of success, otherwise they wouldn't continue, but still I would think common sense will save most people from this fate.
Fixes: 104

Sadly a success story in a similar scam here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84097.0.html
2 PN users in two days...
Will Moderate For Thanks