cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0-60

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

0-60

I enjoy programmes like Top Gear, to get a look at the sort of cars I could never hope short of a huge lottery win to be able to afford, I also enjoy the banter between the presenters, making it one of the best comedy programmes on the box, a form of escapism I suppose.
But can someone explain to me please, why so much emphasis is placed on the 0 to 60mph acceleration times of so called "supercars" surely there are few occasions when these times are at all relevant in today's traffic conditions. try using that pace in your high powered supercar and you're likely to find yourself buried in the rear of the car in front. So your supercar can get to 60mph in around 4 top 6 seconds...so what, just where are you going to use this capacity apart from a race track? only a tiny minority of owners actually use them on track-days, not to mention the amount of fuel it uses. Surely the times that are more important are those necessary to complete safe overtaking manoeuvres the 30/40 to 60/70mph times, where admittedly, the quicker this can be done, the safer it usually is, and where some turbo/supercharged cars can be distinctly slow due to turbo-lag.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
32 REPLIES
geewizz
Grafter

Re: 0-60

It's a good point but it's just a standard measurement for direct comparison. It's based on maximum acceleration from an easy point to measure from (i.e. stationary) to a speed which is commonly achievable by almost all cars.
Fixes: 47

Having, last Sunday driven a 355 Spider around a track with other Ferraris, Porches, Lamborghini's,  Aston Martins etc I found the 120mph to 40mph figure far more important Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Weel you did say it was a comedy program

Having been involved with Top Gear and other organizations at Millbrook, also their tyres dont last long.
But I live on a suburban back street and some of the cars certainly seem to be doing that test up my 30 mph road
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Having, last Sunday driven a 355 Spider around a track with other Ferraris, Porches, Lamborghini's,  Aston Martins etc I found the 120mph to 40mph figure far more important Shocked

Grin Very astute observation!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Millbrook 1991 - 0-60 about 2 min

the Handling circuit
Community Veteran

Quote from: geewizz

It's a good point but it's just a standard measurement for direct comparison.

While I take your point, it doesn't really hold water as there are too many variables for it to have any sense; vehicle weight, power output, engine position in vehicle, 4WD - 2WD, weight of driver (the Stig appears to weigh er! not very much!!) Add two passengers, week-end baggage, full fuel load, road surface conditions and, the ultimate 0 to 60 becomes meaningless.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

Having, last Sunday driven a 355 Spider around a track

Were you given this as a prezzie by chance?
Members of my family have hinted at a track day for me a couple of birthday's/Christmas running, but in spite of large clanging hints being dropped, its not so far materialised.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

too many variables for it to have any sense

and very few are specified in their reports
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: petlew

It's a good point but it's just a standard measurement for direct comparison.

While I take your point, it doesn't really hold water as there are too many variables for it to have any sense; vehicle weight, power output, engine position in vehicle, 4WD - 2WD, weight of driver (the Stig appears to weigh er! not very much!!) Add two passengers, week-end baggage, full fuel load, road surface conditions and, the ultimate 0 to 60 becomes meaningless.

In order to compose a standard comparison you take out as many variables as possible. You wouldn't compare two wines by drinking one after a curry, in a high pressure chamber, through a straw and another mixed with cola and quaffed in a desert at midday. You compare them in controlled conditions, even though the people who might use your comparisons to choose their wine will be drinking them under a whole variety of conmditions.
Just because the end user will add variables does not make a comparison within standard conditions meaningless.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

When I used to do these tests, I had to get the gross weight (That includes driver and equipment ) to within a very small percentage, of course if you look at my van the aero dynamics were not that good, but as I said, Top Gear do not quote their test conditions.
Also on the Stig Test, have you  noticed that they dont make any considerations for the weather conditions, I had to wait for them to be acceptable.
Another variable is where you fill up with fuel, we didnt pay enough attention to that in the UK, but at our track in Belgium every delivery had a full chemical spec attached.  Derv has a distinct variation between summer and winter, it has an anti icing additive in the winter, this alter the specific gravity of the fuel and hence performance
geewizz
Grafter

Pierre, the thread started with the 0-60mph figures quoted on Top Gear. These are supplied by the manufacturer (industry standard tests) not by Top Gear's own test drives.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont often watch top gear, the camera work drives me made, and some of the inane carry ons.  But they did do some 0-100km/h test recently comparing various vehicles
Fixes: 47

Quote from: petlew
Were you given this as a prezzie by chance?
Members of my family have hinted at a track day for me a couple of birthday's/Christmas running, but in spite of large clanging hints being dropped, its not so far materialised.

Indeed I was..by my Son...who also took advantage of the day (and my wallet) to take an Aston Martin DB9 out for a spin (not literally it's not allowed)
I can fully recommend it if you want to know what a young baby feels like first thing in the morning Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Pierre, the thread started with the 0-60mph figures quoted on Top Gear.

The OP asked the relevance of quoting such stratospheric acceleration (and indeed top speed if you want to expand the argument) in today's traffic conditions. Top Gear is by no means the only source of such figures, but simply the one used as an example. The arguments against do not of course account for the pleasure of owning such engineering excellence.