cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xbox live connectivity issue

vespy

xbox live connectivity issue

Hi people,
Decided to post here after around 12  hours of almost non-stop searching google and changing settings on my router to try fixing my problem.
Last night, I was trying to play Borderlands with my brother over xbox live, but we were both having trouble even joining a lobby together.. whenever we did, one of us would be kicked from the party, and the game lobby would be very slow in loading anything.
We were both trying to change settings on our routers (mainly making sure we were forwarding the appropriate ports +rebooting router etc.). After a while, we were able to get into a game with me hosting.. but he was lagging quite, until about 5 mins had passed when he got disconnected from the game. We tried again with him hosting, and the lag was insanly bad for me, before another 5 mins passed, at which point it was my turn to be disconnected from him.
We gave up for the night, and my quest to finding out the problem with my connection truly began. I went to test my xbox live connection at network settings on my 360, the connection up to internet went fast enough, but the bar between "internet" and "xbox live" took a fair while to fill up, however, their was no NAT warning sign.
Even though there was no warning, the only thing I could think of was that the ports aren't forwarded properly, so I went searching for things that might be wrong with my router long with how i could open the ports.
I ended up setting my xbox as DMZ default, along with forwarding the xbox live ports, as well as trying with uPnP on, and also off.. none of which was making any difference.
I also tried disconnecting my other computers from the router, to make sure they weren't using up bandwidth.
For the past month or so, my connection seems to have been going at the fastest it's ever been, which is why I'm puzzled that with my x360 not claiming it's a NAT problem.
I'm pretty tired now, so I apologise if I've rambled on abit much.. I'd appreciate any suggestions or ideas as to what might be the problem.
Here's some more info that may or may not be helpful..
My router is a netgear DG834G

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4800 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6464 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 320 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbp
i only did this once.. but through my laziness, I can't see doing it another couple of times will have much of a difference in result.
18 REPLIES 18
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: xbox live connectivity issue

First of hi and welcome to the forum,this is a tricky one this as you have covered quite a lot of ground in trying to resolve the issue,i wonder if your brother was so thorough?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
vespy

i very much doubt he was as thorough, i'll talk to him sometime later about if he lags when he joins other games, or if it's just with me. I'm not worrying to much about that at the moment, because either way, I still have a problem with my connection to other people through xbox live. I tried testing my connection a couple of times on team fortress 2, each time I lagged a fair amount, before getting disconnected after a few minutes.
I'll try a few more games online now, to make sure it's not that I'm just getting unlucky with who happens to be hosting the games I join.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes thats a good idea,im seeing it alot here recently gamers having problems with xbox live,small pattern to like team fortress and cod,as you know xbox only needs the two ports open and as you probably know its not a good idea having upnp and the dmz enabled at the same time,your filters and that ok?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You should either forward your ports, use uPnP or put the XBOX in the DMZ - mixing those could confuse things more.
Putting it in the DMZ will be the easiest and possibly most successful thing to do.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
vespy

I suspected as much. I thought it was worth a shot trying all three because I came across an old post on xbox.com forums (i think) which was saying that doing all three had worked for him. I don't really know enough about routers, to know at the time if it was such a great idea or not, hehe.
Anyway, Just tried another team fortress 2 and a H.A.W.X mutliplayer.. both times getting disconnected from host/server before even getting into the games properly. (choosing character on TF2, lobby on HAWX).
Just disabled the port forwarding and upnp. Will reboot router and try a couple more games online.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hmmn it would be interesting to check whether your losing connection with the internet at the time your dropping out,can you check in your router and see your uptime for internet connection?
vespy

Just tried TF2 and left 4 dead. Managed to get into TF2 for a few mins run around and kill one person before getting disconnected from the server. With left 4 dead, I was able to be a spectator for a few mins, I was lagging too much for the game to let me enter the game as a player.
My uptime to the internet hasn't reset, since i rebooted the router a while ago, and i've stayed logged on to xbox live while being disconnected from the hosts. So I havn't been dropped from the internet.
Although, last night, when I got disconnected from my brother, I also lost connection to xbox live. I didnt think to check my uptime then, to see if my whole connection had been lost to the internet, but I'm fairly sure I hadn't because i was talking to him on msn for part of the time, and I didnt notice any lag spikes on that, let alone getting signed off it for a few moments.

No idea if any sense can be made out of any of this, but after i test my xbox live connection in network settings, I can bring up an Error Status Report which reads;
W: 0000 - 000B
X: 0001 - 8005
Y: 20AB - 4800
z: 0000 - 0000
dvorak

Can you post the details from your router - such as synch speed uptime etc?
Customer / Moderator
vespy

SystemUpTime05:05:18
Port      Status    TxPkts    RxPkts    Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s      Up Time
WAN        PPPoA      79196    122737          0          318        8441        05:04:43
LAN        10M/100M  113440    71335          0          8141      282        05:05:10
WLAN      11M/54M    43482    34252          0          1081      321        05:05:02
ADSL Link                  Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6400 kbps 320 kbps
Line Attenuation        50.0 db        31.5 db
Noise Margin            15.7 db        6.0 db
badwolf
Grafter

I had major stability issues with my DG834Gv2 when I got moved over to ADSL2+ last month. They don't like the Texas Instruments chipset on the ADSL2+ DSLAMS BT use.
The guy who also posted THIS also had the same trouble
I've since got myself the plusnet supplied ST585v7 and whilst my connection is now rock solid, still have a few lag issues with online gaming but nowhere near as bad as on my netgear, but at least it's playable.
EDIT: just noticed your upload sync is 300k - I had the same problem. The earlier versions of the DG834G just wont sync properly on those DSLAMS. Either the netgears are goosed or the chipsets on the DSLAMs are Undecided
dvorak

Gotta agree with Badwolf something really doesn't look that good with those stats...
Customer / Moderator
vespy

ah, alrighty :).. Gonna see about setting up another router we have somewhere around here. Just hope it works.
vespy

I tried another router, but  the upstream and downstream stayed pretty much the same. I don't know what else to try Sad
dvorak

Tried a different filter?
The things that seem odd are the upstream speed and SNR is low and the SNR is high for your upstream.
Customer / Moderator