cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will ping go up if i switch from pro to premium?

max99
Grafter

will ping go up if i switch from pro to premium?

hi guys, i'm a new pro user and so far (few days in) finding the online gaming side of things great Smiley 
however, i like to use the xbox movie streaming allot (and bbc iplayer) and noticing my download allowance of 20G will probably not cut it. Sad
my question is:  can i switch to premium and keep the fastpath settings for low ping, and more generally will my online gaming suffer on premium?
thanks in advance Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: will ping go up if i switch from pro to premium?

Your ping and gaming shouldn't be affected... however your xbox streaming might be affected. ASBO would be able to tell you a bit better...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

it was the inside xbox vids ive been wiresharking and they came back as 0x80 gold the other day when bob asked me to check so all groove  Cheesy .
all xbox traffic uses port 3074 which makes it easy for all the games to be picked up by the traffic mangment. the reason the inside xbox vids where picked up wrong is due to the source ip's being limelight (CDN) which microsoft uses to serve its content
however i dont use skyplayer or zune so cant give you a 100% answer. but skyplayer has been up fo awhile and no compliants of issues that ive seen and also the same for zune all be it not live as long.
you will be fine on preminum, if you do find streaming and gaming traffic that isnt picked up right its only a wireshark away to getting sorted  Wink thoe it does take around a week for the new sig to be put  live from PN getting your wireshark.
and if you want to be able to capture xbox traffic with wireshark this is how i go about it. but there is no need to check the games traffic as there 100% picked up right every time on the xbox, its only the dashboard stuff i ever check http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81053.msg662436.html#msg662436
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
p.s both me and adiewoo game on unlimited and that has a 2mb gaiming speed cap on that package and all is fine (thoe adiewoo uses that other console, the name will come to me when this picture of a rubbish tip has gone out my head  Cheesy )
Steve
Seasoned Pro

If its any consolation i play xbox 360 on the premuim package without any problems,streaming also is fine most of the time,but i do have a good line speed,i say most of the time because i use the wireless adaptor all the time on my 360.skyplayer works fine and if it doesnt work fine for you theres 3 settings on it,you can choose between low quality to medium quality to high quality depending on the state of your line,i run in medium to high quality nearly all the time,not tried zune yet apart from a few trailers and they streamed perfectly.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
max99
Grafter

that sounds good guys, thanks for the updates, esp ASBO DOG.
how about the fastpath setting tho?  will that stay in place if i move to premium?  i'm really enjoying the lower pings Smiley
scootie
Grafter

yep it will, you can have fastpath on any package. interleaving on / off is done at exchange level