Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

struggling to get ps3 to connect!.........help

vlbvlb
Grafter

struggling to get ps3 to connect!.........help

First post here so hello to everyone.
Just bought a Ps3, and for the life of me I cannot get it to connect to the internet. I've been working on it for two days and have tried so many settings from Googling but to no avail.
I am using an  ethernet wired setup, through network plugs from a modem (D-link dsl 300t) going into a Samsung tv.

Has anyone got any ideas? Please.
Vincent

10 REPLIES 10
vlbvlb
Grafter

Re: struggling to get ps3 to connect!.........help

I was in a bit of a rush to get some food and forgot to mention the problem.........................80710102 dns error.
Vincent
Euge
Grafter

Hello Vincent and welcome Smiley
Have you tried rebooting everything?
The auto setup on the playstation should get you connected easily on a wired setup provided there are no other problems elsewhere.
Andrew_B
Grafter

vlbvlb
Grafter

Euge & Andrew b,
Thanks for the prompt replies to you both.
When I first had a problem, I came and had  look at the Plusnet support pages, but that didn't do any good.. Then I went googling..... couple of days later and doing the ipconfig search, changing dns server numbers,,ip address changes and looking for any anomalies in the modem, I still wasn't connected.
So, after reading that the D-link modem wasn't the best for the Ps3, I decided to try it on  someone elses setup/network. After cabling the Ps3 up, i pressed the 'test connection'  and it connected.and I tried a bit of browsing without any problems. Grin
Then it was off to Comet to buy the same bit of kit (Netgear 834g), changed it over this evening and al  is well, no problems at all. In fact my Firefox seems to be loading up quicker, whether the six intervening years has made modems more responsive, I don't know.
Just as an aside......I bought the Ps3 not to play games on or watch BD movies but because pop, at eighty four years of age, wants to get on the net. He would never be able to cope with a small screen and Windows, so now he's got the very user friendly ps3 browser on a 40" screen.
Anyway, thanks again...Vincent
Euge
Grafter

Sorry I couldn't be of any help but as it goes you sorted it out with the power of google or some other generic search engine Cheesy
The ps3 browser is user friendly but, as you've probably found out, quite slow and not all sites will work on it at the moment. Some sites even make the PS3 freeze up, an issue which they're supposed to be fixing in the updates. You can however get a separate OS for the ps3 which runs a lot better, but would probably require you getting a bigger hard drive depending on what you already have.
scootie
Grafter

yep the netgear dg834g is a great runner ive owned 2 now.
Great to hear ya pops is on the net i dont know what the limitations of the ps3 browser is but if he finds he cant use webcams ect in the future. then maybe getting mid spec desktop with low/mid range graphichs card to cope with the 40inch t.v an wireless keyboard and mice maybe a gd future upgrade for him if he gets in to net big time
Euge
Grafter

Quote from: ASBO

Did something go wrong with the first one?
vlbvlb
Grafter

ASBO DOG, Euge,
I must  say, it's difficult to know what to do for the best. , the Ps3 with its simple console and the on screen keyboard may fit his needs. Mind you, I have bought a printer, camera, dvd player and he has never even tried to use them, so I 'm probably wasting my time. Even so, I could still pull up sites for him to peruse in comfort rather than huddling around a pc.
Regarding the browser, I have already found some limitations and perhaps longer term I could put another OS on the Ps3 (it's 80gb). It would be rather good if I could load Windows7 on to it, or if you have any other suggestions please fire away.
Vincent
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Euge
Quote from: ASBO

Did something go wrong with the first one?

yeah when i had latency issues on 21cn before we pin pointed down BTw an PN being the problem i was rebooting it and changing firmware to many times in like an hours time an it just refuses to come to life it has no power light ect the light that shows anything is lan lights wen you plug an ethernet cable in. if there left alone they run for years
Euge
Grafter

It requires some research but people have got linux operating on their ps3's I read someone talking about 'OS X' but I have no idea what that is. Explaining the details behind all of it would likely take more technical know how than I have. But if you truly wanted to get another operating system on your ps3 then have a look around the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3 - Gives a fairly detailed explanation about the idea behind it and links to instruction on how to do it.