cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

star wars force collection

Mathias
Grafter

star wars force collection

this is a mobile game for iOS and android. I play on android.
As of 3 days ago I started experiencing a problem that has been plaguing BT customers for the last few months, but has infected plusnet as well.

The issue only affects loading the battle animation, all other aspects of the game works fine. the game works perfectly well when playing over my mobile data connection provided i have decent signal and speeds obviously. Therefore the issue with the game lies with plusnet and bt. I suspect it is something to do with plusnet traffic or firewall filter blocking the packets for the battle animation sequence.
Other bt users are affected and information can be found on the following thread.
http://appinvasion.com/threads/connection-issues-mainly-with-battles.76437/
We have contacted konami for support but they refused to divulge the ports that the game uses and have instead suggested that we re install that app and reboot handsets. Obviously we all run the latest version of the app and therefore their "support" had no effect whatsoever.
Can you there for contact konami to find out what ports the game uses and make sure that your system allows the traffic through properly, else undo the change that you made a few days ago, which has caused this traffic to be blocked as the game worked perfectly fine on the plusnet network prior to this.
17 REPLIES 17
Mathias
Grafter

Re: star wars force collection

Errr, any thoughts Kelly or PN?
Mathias
Grafter

Bump. This is still happening.
Still working fine over mobile connection. No changes were made to game, or router setup before problem occurred.
All other traffic and other gaming working fine.
Only the battle animation section fails to load all other elements of the game work fine on plusnet...
Please help!
Mathias
Grafter

Time to start spamming the PN staff since they don't seem to have noticed this thread...
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You might like to look at this:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_bump
PN don't block or filter solicited traffic and the blocking of unsolicited traffic can be turned off (See Firewall Settings in the Member centre).  There may perhaps be a routing issue that is affecting performance but you'll probably need to do some Wireshark captures on your machine to track down where the game is trying to connect to.
Mathias
Grafter

Whilst that may be right that they don't block traffic. Somehow the traffic to load the battle animation is not reaching. Prior to a week ago this worked perfectly fine on PN. I have changed nothing my end so i can't see how it could be a firewall issue.
Can you really wireshark traffic on a mobile phone as well? If so i will need instructions on how to do this...
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You can wireshark traffic from a mirrored port on your router.  It's a bit of a PITA though. 
I presume this is you:  http://appinvasion.com/threads/connection-issues-mainly-with-battles.76437/page-2#post-734176
Do you have any information about the game servers at all?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Kelly,
thanks for getting back to me.
Can you supply instructions on how to setup mirror porting on wireshark as i've never used the application?
Acemathias on that forum is me, yes. So you see on page 1 that it was working perfectly fine for some time.
Unfortunately Konami tech support has been most unhelpful in dealing with this issue. They seem not to want to help as they will not divulge the ports the game uses or any server information.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Mathias,
We have some Wireshark instructions here: http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
However because your device connects to your router via Wifi it's more difficult to capture the right traffic.
If you're on Fibre then we can use a set of Telnet commands to mirror all your internet traffic to your computer so you can capture it using Wireshark.
These commands will mirror ALL traffic (including Wifi) onto Ethernet port 1 so you can capture it using Wireshark.
:eth bridge config vlan enabled
:eth bridge ifdelete brname=bridge intf=ethport4
:ptrace filter add name=wan
:ptrace filter modify name=wan intf=ethport1
:ptrace action add name=mirror
:ptrace action modify name=mirror type=mirror intf=ethif4
:ptrace add name=mirror_wan filter=wan action=mirror
:ptrace modify name=mirror_wan state=enabled

You'll have to run these Telnet commands, plug your computer into Ethernet port 1, start the capture (see the other instructions), then run the game, encounter the problem, and then send the Wireshark file too us.
What do you think?
Matt
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Matt, thanks for getting back to me.
i'll try, probably have to wait until the weekend for something this involved.
You say " if you are on fibre", however i'm not on fibre i'm on ADSL 2+. Does that change anything with your instructions?
mattturner
Grafter

Hi,
Yes, unfortunately these instructions won't work on an ADSL router. We're only able to mirror Ethernet ports, not the ADSL port (when a router connects to fibre it uses one of the ethernet ports).
There is another method we could use that involves using a second router or a wireless access point though, do you have a spare one available? If not then I'm sure I could send you one out from here.
Matt
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It may be easier to use Internet Connection Sharing (on a Windows laptop - Similar setups are available for Mac) and connect the Android device via the laptop.  You can then use Wireshark on the laptop to see what's going on.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've just tried this from a test line here and been through a few battles, the animations all seem to be working correctly for us on a Samsung Galaxy S3, these are the battle animations of the cards fighting each other when going through the quests. Is that the part you're seeing the issues with?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mathias
Grafter

Hi Chris,
thanks for testing out the app at PN towers.
The part that fails is battle animations when facing other players, not the AI when playing the quest.
If you tap BATTLE (3rd button on bottom row menu) > ATTACK OPPONENTS > then choose any of the options in this menu > then tap GO BATTLE on any listed opponent > then tap START BATTLE.
Following the loading an animation should play displaying both your's and your opponent's formations, the attacks performed on each card and casualties sustained.
This is the part that fails to load when on Plusnet network, it displays a server network error and you have to reload the game.
Despite the error message it is not an error with the server, but with the connection itself as the animation loads and plays perfectly fine on my data connection.
Please try this and let me know if this works. As stated i am on ADSL 2+ using wifi (obviously) on a samsung galaxy s3 also.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Followed those steps and didn't get any errors, the battle seemed to go ahead correctly. I've attached a screenshot to make sure I'm checking the right part!
For reference, this in on an ADSL2+ line using a 582n and my Galaxy S3.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.