cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your DNS server cannot resolve names of Xbox LIVE servers"

SimonPeall86

"Your DNS server cannot resolve names of Xbox LIVE servers"

You can probably guess the problem I am having from the title but I will explain more here. I have recently switched to PlusNet and I have a Thomson 585v8 Router that they supplied me (the one that IS n series compatible). I have absolutely no problems with using the internet on my PC, in fact the service is much better than my old ISP.
However when I try to connect to xbox live I get the following error,
"Your DNS can't resolve the names of Xbox LIVE servers"
I have been through every suggestion that the troubleshooting on the xbox live support site can offer to no avail as well as going through all the other troubleshooting I can find related to the issue. I have even emailed the PlusNet support who kindly linked me to this forum with the mesage,
"I'm sorry that we couldn't help you further with this but i'm sure you can appriciate that as we aren't trained in this area it may cause more issues than it may solve."
Now, I have managed to make the xbox connect to live wirelessly however to do so I either had to run the ethernet cable between the xbox and the router or switch the network type from b/g/n to b/g. Although it would connect my NAT type was set to strict both times so I can't connect to games/chat/party making it practically useless.
I have one of the n series adapters on my xbox (the black ones with the two aerials) and the router is n series so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.
I have looked in to port forwarding (I have even tried to do it, but the router wont let me set an ip adress to translate the ports too so I have given up with this idea too) but had no joy with that.
Just to clarify, the things I have tried;
Rebooting the router
Resetting the network adapter to default settings.
Setting manual DNS servers
Contacting my ISP
Port forwarding and using a static IP address
Any help that anyone can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
PS. I have contacted MS support as well but havent heard from them as yet.
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: "Your DNS server cannot resolve names of Xbox LIVE servers"

No dobt you've already tried everything here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978847 Simon.
There are more threads on the same subject here so maybe someone else has found a solution.... Undecided
Edit: BTW welcome to the forum Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SimonPeall86

Thanks for your quick reply Strat Smiley
I have tried everything at the link you gave me unfortunately (its the same set of steps as the xbox live support page for the same problem).
As for looking through the threads here I have been making my way through them but most of the xbox issues I have seen so far haven't been the same as the issue I am having.
Nevertheless I shall continue to search through and monitor my thread here and my ticket with Microsoft. Hopefully a solution will present itself.
SimonPeall86

Just a quick update for anyone who reads this and is having similar problems. I have managed to make xbox live work without having a restricted NAT type (I havent actually tried any games/chat/downloads etc. I just managed to get it connected and the test connection gave me no errors) but there is a catch.
To do so I had to put my xbox in the DMZ for the router meaning it is less protected (that is my understanding, networking is not my forte) this was achieved by changing the settings in the router remote assistance section. I also had to change the wireless type from b/g/n to just b/g (so I am not getting the best wireless I can although this seems to make little to no difference anyway according to everything I have read).
If anyone is interested in how I set this up reply to this and I will try to explain as best I can, likewise if anyone wants to give me any advice or scream at me for putting the xbox at risk or the network I am open to that as well (I am aware it isn't ideal, but I have little other option since MS support is even slower than plus net).
fourfourdevon
Grafter

If you have a home router and have put your XBox into the DMZ without doing a lot of configuring yourself, it almost certainly means your XBox is not protected at all, not even slightly.
I don't know what exploits for the XBox are at large on the internet, but whatever do exist, your XBox is open as a new born baby abandoned on a mountain top.
steoconnell

Quote from: SimonPeall86
Just a quick update for anyone who reads this and is having similar problems. I have managed to make xbox live work without having a restricted NAT type (I havent actually tried any games/chat/downloads etc. I just managed to get it connected and the test connection gave me no errors) but there is a catch.
To do so I had to put my xbox in the DMZ for the router meaning it is less protected (that is my understanding, networking is not my forte) this was achieved by changing the settings in the router remote assistance section. I also had to change the wireless type from b/g/n to just b/g (so I am not getting the best wireless I can although this seems to make little to no difference anyway according to everything I have read).
If anyone is interested in how I set this up reply to this and I will try to explain as best I can, likewise if anyone wants to give me any advice or scream at me for putting the xbox at risk or the network I am open to that as well (I am aware it isn't ideal, but I have little other option since MS support is even slower than plus net).

Hi mate.  Can you post what you did or inbox me?  I'm having the exact same problema dn have tried everything.  Cheers.
rosstyoung

Hi,
I'm a new Plusnet user and had exacly the same problem. I'm going to post my short but sweet answer to each of the 3 questions on this subject.
In short I joined Plusnet, had a problem with my X-Box, assumed it was Plusnet, phoned to cancel my contract to go to Sky, was offered a month free subscription but initially chose to cancel anyway.
I then had one last attempt and called my local computer repair company. He said it was not an unusual problem and spent 20 mins updating the settings on my Thompson router. It only cost £25 and now the X-box and 2 laptops (work and private) are working perfectly and have been for the last 2 months.
I called Plusnet and they honoured their 1 month free.
Hope this helps
windy

Hi,
I've been using XBox Live fine on ethernet but now have a wifi adapter and am getting the same error you are experiencing.
I have tried everything but have had no joy, if you could forward on the info as to how you have resolved the issue that would be awesome.
Thanks in anticipation Smiley
steventuck
Dabbler

I set my router to output B/g rather than n/b/g. It cured it for me. Then simply put your Xbox into the routers DMZ. Info on that is on one of these pages somewhere.
To change router output
Home>>>>Home Network>>>>Interfaces>>>>WLAN-(Your Network name - something like Plusnet1A3B5)>>>>Configure.
Hope this works Cheesy