cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ps4 and ps3 low speed tests

darklight
Grafter

ps4 and ps3 low speed tests

Not sure if anything can be done, when i run a speed test on my ps4 i get around 45mbps and on my ps3 i get 25mbps why should it be lower on my ps3,
but on my pc i get 73mbps, all using Lan cable going through a gbit switch using cat 6a 2m cables from switch.
Get same results using a cable from my router on one of the spare ports to the consoles, i ran a test using www.speedof.me using the web browser on the consoles its still low result.
Anyone got some thoughts, any settings i could change on consoles.
4 REPLIES 4
wo0x
Grafter

Re: ps4 and ps3 low speed tests

I wouldn't worry about it. I remember a lot of discussion about this when people switched to fiber broadband. The consensus was that it's just an oddity of the PSN network and not indicative of any real issue. Are you having any noticeable problems when gaming?
darklight
Grafter

None that i can see, its just when downloading off the PS network its slow, could take around 6hrs or more to just download a game, if i was maxing out my top speed, it should be done lets say in 30 to 45mins,
PS network must be really bad.  Angry
darklight
Grafter

Think i found out the problem why its not maxing out my download speed, i downloaded 2 games off the PSN 2 days ago 1 on my ps3, 1 on ps4, on the ps3 many times before i used wifi to leech the games now i'm using Lan and this is the big one, do not download them in the background,
  i noticed if use download in the background it halved download speed with that on top of the wifi speed also halved my speed. So all ok now, and as for using the speed test within the ps3 or ps4 console its rubbish, does not show the proper speed you can get.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@ Darklight Yeah i found the same thing as you with PS3, i'm synced 59Mb and can download via Steam at top speed which is usually around 6.5MBps, On PS4 via it's speed test i get around 45Mb, downloading seems to be fine around the same top speed as PC despie the lower speed result as you say the console speed test is flawed although to be far it does say they are only estimates.
on PS3 however everything takes a dive, it's a Wired connection as with PS4 so it's not like it's a wireless issue, PS3 speed test gives 25Mb again a estimate but way off,  downloading seems to be around that mark or lower if i pick background downloading It seems that it cant handle a fibre connection via this method,  i don't remember having this issue on ADSL, anyway If i just leave it to download while in the store it's fine although a touch slower than PC & PS4 I think PSN on the PS3 side of things is slower for some reason.