cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet gaming connection

garysmith

plusnet gaming connection

has anyone tried it?......is it any good.......?does it reduce your ping......?
I am currently on 8meg but have 20g download for the same price so need some encouragement ot change.
41 REPLIES 41
pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: plusnet gaming connection

i'm looking at it as im interested in it as a gaming backup
Spider
Grafter

I am currently on the new package. The reality at present is that I have not noticed any real difference day to day. With regard to the ping this seems to have approved. Before upgrade the ping to my own game server from my own PC via Plusnet was approx 22, now it is 16.
The connection is 2Mbs not Max.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Spider
Before upgrade the ping to my own game server from my own PC via Plusnet was approx 22, now it is 16.
The connection is 2Mbs not Max.

Server hosted on your lan or externally hosted? 15ms is about right for a lan server.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
davefitz

I received the email but dont really see what it offers over my current connection.
I thought all voip and gaming traffic was already prioritised and that we can access plusnets game servers? 
The only thing seems to be the option to turn interleaving off, is this not available with the other packages?
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

The VoIP and Gaming traffic is already prioritised on other packages, but it is a higher priority on BBYW Pro, as are all the other uses (p2p, etc). I believe the minimum is silver on that package, which means that even if a game isn't prioritised correctly, it will still recieve higher traffic management than it would if it was on a "lesser" package.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
Server hosted on your lan or externally hosted? 15ms is about right for a lan server.

The server is hosted on my Lan, but the ping is that recorded by GameSpy via the internet connection, not direct from my regular PC.
garysmith

not looking good so far
Spider
Grafter

I think a lot really depends how much your connection is effected by traffic shaping and whether your game traffic is correctly identified by Plusnets system.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Spider
I think a lot really depends how much your connection is effected by traffic shaping and whether your game traffic is correctly identified by Plusnets system.

That's the benefit of BBYW  Pro. Unidentified traffic will still receive a high priority on the network whereas with the lesser packages it's likely to be put in a 'half-way' queue.
BBYW Pro has no rate limits applied throughout the day whereas the standard BBYW packages do.
It is possible to turn off interleaving on all accounts at request.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tracer
Grafter

What about the old Premier accounts Bob do those have a rate limit ?
Spider
Grafter

You can find a comparison table here:
http://usergroup.plus.net/070920_bbywcomp3.php
Tracer
Grafter

Quote from: Tracer
What about the old Premier accounts Bob do those have a rate limit ?

I meant a gaming rate limit.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Gaming is in Titanium on all account types with the exception of BBYW option 1, and the only rate limit that would be applied is if you hit your peak time limit.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Gaming is in Titanium on all account types with the exception of BBYW option 1, and the only rate limit that would be applied is if you hit your peak time limit.

So i could have got option 2 then and doubled my cap for gaming rather than pro at 10GB , great!