cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online gaming help

smacphail
Dabbler

online gaming help

Ive recently signed up with plusnet for home phone and broadband using ADSL connection. The top download speed i can get is 1.4mb and upload speed 346kbps.
One of the main uses of my broadband is for gaming on ps3 and so far has been terrible,is there anything i can do or plusnet can do as i constantly get lag while gaming?
The average speeds i get are 1.2mb down and 146kbps up, iv tried setting my router to game mode and putting my ps3 in dmz and still no change.
Any help would be much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
reece251
Grafter

Re: online gaming help

you can request to have your upload speeds uncapped which would see your up speed rise to about 1000kbps which is essential for gaming. you can do this by going to the broadband and router section of the forum and starting a new topic with the subject something like 'uncap upload speed' and explain what u want done
kirk
Grafter

If you visit http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and type in your postcode, look for "BT Wholesale information" and have a look if "21CN WBC status:" is ticked or not ticked.
If it is not ticked then you are on 20cn. You can ask Plusnet if you can be provisioned on to ADSL max premium if you wanted too. ADSL max premium gives you faster upload speed (rather than upto 448kbps, it will increase upto 832kbps). ADSL max premium also gives you a higher priority on the BT Wholesale network. This cost an extra £7.83 for more information http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/max_premium.shtml
If you are on 21cn, you can ask Plunet to uncap your upload speed. When your upload speed in uncapped the speed can go upto 1.3mbps however in your case with a 1.4mb download speed it will probably be around 0.5/0.6mbps. To get your upload speed uncapped then raise a ticket or as mentioned above start a new topic in the broadband and router section
What is your ping?
Ping is very important for gamers. High ping can cause poor gaming or “lag”. To make sure you have the best ping you can possible get, make sure your router/ modem is in the master telephone socket or the test socket. In some cases you can get a better connection if your router is connected to your test socket. An Ethernet cable is better connection than the wireless as the ping will increase the further distance you are from the router.
Interleaving can cause very high pings. Interleaving usually placed on poor lines as it is an error correction facility. However interleaving courses delay as it checks the information. The ‘Delay’ of the Interleaving is simply a measurement of the size of the interleaving buffers…. The size is measured in Milli-Seconds (ms). If interleaving is placed on your line then you can ask Plusnet to remove this.
smacphail
Dabbler

thank you for the replies with help and info.
i checked the bt wholesale section of samknows and the 21cn is ticked and enabled.
ive ran a few ping tests on pingtest.net with my computer wired through ethernet, i live in edinburgh and when i tested to the nearest server which is in england i got 51ms ping, when i tested to the next closest which was in dublin i recieved 140ms ping.
from this im guessing my problems are caused by my bad upload speed and ping, can these issues be fixed/improved?
when trying to play on my ps3 i always use it wired through ethernet and set in DMZ.
i really appreciate your help as playing my ps3 online was my main reason for getting my broadband and its not going well at all.
kirk
Grafter

Sorry you are still having issues with gaming Sad
What I would do is to get Plusnet to uncap your upload speed (this will increase upload speed) and get Plusnet to take off interleaving (decrease ping time). You can do these by raising a ticket or post a new thread in the broadband and router section of the forum.
reece251
Grafter

As good old kirk suggested create a new topic in the broadband part of the forum and request to have your upload speed uncapped and interleaving turned off. And explain your getting high ping when gaming and once this has been completed I have no worries your gaming will go smooth 😃 add me on ps3 if you like I'm looking for some gaming buddies.  I_Skills_Uk_X