cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modern w2 signal strength

scootie
Grafter

Re: modern w2 signal strength

if you pick this up before midday can you run the command promt ping before 11.30 and then again in the peak time when your having poor latency and copy paste the results.
looking at you seedtestnet ones it would appear your ping all thoe high is stable (going on the fact done at diffrent times) but the jitter on pingtest.net does concern me which points at the pings actualy being unstable.
if you look at the graph here you can see how jitter is effected by very very unstable pings.  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80166.msg660319.html#msg660319

Quote from: ASBO
can you run some pings to bbc.co.uk  using the following command in command promt "ping -t bbc.co.uk" leave it running for say around 100 packets and copy paste the summary and some of the pings above that. if you can do this when your gaming is not good but make sure you insure nothing else is using your connection when you run the check as that will taint the results
neil3045
Grafter

Ridiculously low pings on modern warfare 2 was the last straw for me on virgin broadband, I hope things get better when my switch to plusnet goes ahead!
skuffdj
Grafter

Just dont get this.. It says my line is good, my ping is good, but why can i not connect with my friends during peak times?? I can just about play if i join random games without my friends, but with a max of 3 bars.. If i join my friends who all live within 20 miles of each other i get 1 bar red ping. They all get 4 green bars with talk talk and BT on 8 mb
StephenF
Grafter

i completely disagree,
i use wireless on my laptop and wired on my desktop, both gaming computers, and i get the same ping on both. i use wep 64 bit encryption
edit : to clarify i was just joining in the discussion at the beginning of this thread Tongue sorry for the hijack just wanted to share my opinion/experience
leeanthony
Grafter

a good wireless router and setup would be fine yeah. no ones said it wouldnt. we just said that a wired setup would be more reliable.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: StephenF
i use wep 64 bit encryption

You might want to rethink that bit - WEP is very unsecure..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

also most chips used in wireless adapters will have this problem of latency spikes when windows auto scans for AP's.
http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/images/without.gif
so if your gaming on the PC wireless and getting these lag spikes every 60 / 30 seconds its worth checking this app out
http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/
i do disagree with you saying that wireless preforms the same ethernet, my netgear wg111 v2 adapter gives a min of 1ms and will spike up to 7ms now and then, ethernet <1ms constant, there is just to much stuff that swamps wireless.
i was looking for baby monitor yestrday and one of the main points of the purchesse was is it going to effect the wi fi as the top dollar cam monitors run on 2.4ghz, not to metion the sercuity of singnal used on them
StephenF
Grafter

oh.. i thought you guys were talking 20-30 ms latency extra, not 1-7, which imo is very very minor and doesnt affect any gaming i do.
obviously, technically wired will always be more stable than wireless simply because its something physical, but i disagree with the notion that all gaming should be done on a wired connection, thats just an over the top solution to something were there isnt even a problem imo.
i see no difference between the gaming on my computer or my laptop and i regularly download at 750kb/s on my 8mb connection on my laptop wirelessly.
i use 64 bit encrytion so we can use the DS and WII online, without it you cant.
plus 64 bit runs extremely fast compared to the other encryption methods, and i live in a pretty queit area.
skuffdj
Grafter

Quote from: skuffdj

Just dont get this.. It says my line is good, my ping is good, but why can i not connect with my friends during peak times?? I can just about play if i join random games without my friends, but with a max of 3 bars.. If i join my friends who all live within 20 miles of each other i get 1 bar red ping. They all get 4 green bars with talk talk and BT on 8 mb

Any idea's? As when i spoke to someone on the phone, they couldn't tell me why
scootie
Grafter

@stevenf.
to me 7ms is alot and thats the avergage on MY wireless lan (which is setup for best signal and the adapter used for that 7ms result is same make as router and cheeked weekly to insure the singal db is the best it can be) when it's only got 32 bytes of icmp traffic it on it. once your start getting the 4+ machines on my network transfering files across the wireless lan then you will see insane latency.
and does the ms result in my last post of the spikes caused by WZC look small to you 2000ms is in no way small. why use somthing for best latency results if its not the best of the two.
to much intrface on wireless for my consuir gaming needs,
if your happy on wireless then brillant but ethernet across the borad for all users will give excellent stable latency, where if we go around recommending people are ok using wireless when there is so many varibales that can effect latency in using such a transfer method we would be making more work for are selfs helping people find stuff like ps3's bluetooth effecting a single model of the netgear routers wireless.
(not sure which model but adiewoo will confirm this is true)
StephenF
Grafter

i guess its just down to personal preference, i never ever see latency go higher than 30ms on my wireless connection online, and get as low as 7ms. that would mean if i was getting 7ms between router and laptop that i would be 0ms, which is clearly not the case.
i just don't see the problem with wireless, the guy who posted at the beginning of this thread said he was on 1 red bar and everyone jumped to the conclusion this is because of wireless, however, im consistently on 3-4 green bars (depending on the shitty local host server system on mw2) on both my laptop or desktop.
scootie
Grafter

havent re read the thread. but guess some one has complained of poor latency on the console. and when asked they have said there using wirelesss so as to rule that out and start checking other things we would ask they use ethernet and see if that solves the issue as ethernet is 99.9% stable.
just like when speed faults are raised, as part of the fault finding process you use the test socket on your master socket as to rule out that historic extension wiring that can and does cause interfrence. this is all we have done with the OP in this thread. you take away the thing that histrocialy is problem with latency.
like i say am happy you have a stable wireless connection but for the majority this can an is the source of the problem, we would be completly stupid to miss that step out and try and get to the bottom of the issue why leaving a step that can and does cause poor latency
skuffdj
Grafter

peak

offpeak

Both tests done wirelessly..
The only thing i can think of is that my xbox isn't getting the priority that it should, and is being 'capped' like usenet usage
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Can Xboxes get prioritised or is it the software that runs on them Lips_are_sealed Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: StephenF

i just don't see the problem with wireless, the guy who posted at the beginning of this thread said he was on 1 red bar and everyone jumped to the conclusion this is because of wireless,

Which in fact it was... cable installed issue resolved.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'