cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lowest ping?

Blim
Grafter

lowest ping?

what sort of things are stopping me from getting low ping like other adsl users? With interleaving off I should get a max ping of 8ms to say bbci.co.uk on a good line.
What sort of things could be preventing me from achieving this?
I ask this because Im having big problems in online games and I aim to sort this problem even if it means upgrading to a more expensive provider. Im paying for the best service plusnet willing to provide me and Ive just been over charged again on my bill for the pro add, witch seems to have no affect on my line anyway.
Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=245
Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=245
Reply from 212.58.241.131: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=245
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 6:57:47
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.208 / 21.011
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 103,09 / 472,60
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,3 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8,1 / 16,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,6 / 3,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 14 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 14
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 16
27 REPLIES 27
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: lowest ping?

A ping of 12 to 13ms on adsl is pretty good to be honest.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Your router/modem and Phone line length to exchange, I would be glad of 12/13ms.  I average 45 on a good day with my almost 2.5 mile phone line to the exchange.  Used to be on LAN meet ups[pre ADSL] I went to locally at best I got 15ms there, so 12/13ms is very good.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Blim
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
I would be glad of 12/13ms. I average 45 on a good day with my almost 2.5 mile phone line to the exchange.

its real easy you just move house closer to the exchange. In my case its in town but I'm willing to put up with this.
glennm90
Dabbler

No, just because a house is geographically closer to an exchange does not mean your loop loss is going to decrease. Infact I get alot of tech support calls about customers living not 100m or less from the exchange, yet they have high loop loss and noise margins, it really depends on the PCP cab your connected to and what distribution points.
glennm90
Dabbler

Also yes, 12ms is very good considering lowest I got on FTTC was 25ms!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Blim]what sort of things are stopping me from getting low ping like other adsl users? With interleaving off I should get a max ping of 8ms
Can you point us at some examples of people with better than 8ms pings ?, are they in the UK on the BT network ?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

13ms is a damn good ping.
The difference between that and 8ms is probably inconsequential.  You'd need to be the best gamer in the world for it to make a difference.  Or Spiderman!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
w23
Pro

Just to add 'context', 12 to 13ms (12.5 average) is one eightieth  0.0125 or 1/80) of a second.  If an Olympic sprinter reacts quicker than 0.1s (100ms) they are penalised for a false start.
I have seen faster (reliably reported) pings to bbc.co.uk from FTTC users but the difference, as Kelly says, is inconsequential.  My own FTTC started at 7 to 8ms but has now increased to 14-15ms (DLM stabilising the line on 80/20).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Blim
Grafter

no offence guys but this is my hobby.
I did used to play at a world wide rank lvl but that was some time ago and Id like to try again. and yes the smallest amount of lag could mean the difference between taking randon damage or not hitting the hit box.  feeling to the way you move and lag can make it feel ruff and suttery. thats so off putting when your wanting to react without thinking about it. Aim without even trying, the mouse is an extension of me...

my point being, with fastpath I should get atleast 8ms to the best uk servers not 12.
In say bf3, a lot of my actions just dont register at all and when they do it seem at a big delay. Im having the sort of lag that will alow a player with half health to take a whole flip in the back without taking any damage thebn turn around and kill me for exp.
Im also getting 140ping in us server and not 75 like i used to 3 years ago on cable.
Ive read some BE users have as low as 5ms ping, is this because of the no network managment or next to none? I used to get 4ms ping to german servers 3 years ago on cable.

All Im trying to work out is will this ever be possible on my plusnet service so i can chase my dream again?
w23
Pro

Hi,
absolutely no offence taken Smiley though I'm not totally convinced that the reports of 5ms from BE users (on ADSL technology anyway) are genuine, maybe a little different on LLU than BTW lines? It's easy enough to get some silly figures from speedtest.net or pingtest.net (I've certainly seen 0ms on speedtest.net tests) so your method of pinging bbc.co.uk is certainly the one I'd trust.
The shorter the distance between the user and the Plusnet gateways (London) the better the chance of an improved ping.
I certainly never saw anything less than 11 or 12ms on a line that was 100% known not to be interleaved when I was on ADSL(2+) (I typically saw 23 to 25ms when it was interleaved).
Cable (Virgin anyway) are often slated for massive lag during busy times, this may have been a lot better years ago with less congested networks.
FTTC is great if you can get it AND are close enough to the cabinet not to have enough line errors for the DLM to add latency.
Sorry I can't offer any more other than suggesting that you ask PN to confirm that BOTH downstream and upstream are fastpath as many routers don't report both.
Call me 'w23'
Blim
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
ask PN to confirm that BOTH downstream and upstream are fastpath as many routers don't report both.

it is interesting you say this because that would relate to the problems Im seeing on bf3. thou I seem to be receiving the information my actions are delayed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A ping at 8ms is going to have no difference to your gaming to one at 5ms (or one at 20ms). This isn't because of reaction times, equipment or skill level though, it's due to lag compensation which every FPS that is played online has. There are some sites and tips that claim to turn this off, but ultimately it's still there to ensure that games are as level and fair as they can be.
Have a read here for more info:
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/39343/is-lag-compensation-affecting-my-performance
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_(online_gaming)#Solutions_and_lag_compensation
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro

Please don't think I'm trying to teach granny to suck eggs but have you also checked that there's absolutely nothing else running that might affect your gaming (anything trying to auto-update etc.) Anti-virus and firewall software can also interfere (as can router firewall) not that I'd normally suggest running with none of these.
The pings in your OP are good, more importantly they're consistent so stuttering and similar should not be happening.
Thinkbroadband's quality meter http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping is an excellent tool for checking for latency issues but, again, DON'T run it while actually gaming competitively.
Call me 'w23'
Blim
Grafter

I dont understand what you wont me to say, I guess im that good then?
I just wont to know with PN is there a way I will see better than Im getting.

please dont try teaching me anything your unlikly to know any better your self.
at the end of the day there wouldnt be a better service if there wasnt a reason for it......