cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lag with on-line games

alderholt

lag with on-line games

Does anyone suffer with lag whilst playing online games.
I know all about ping, contention ratio etc etc, but I get awful lag, to such an extent that I can't play online games.  I'm starting to get extremely pissed off with it, I pay a premium and am getting a shoddy service, sort it out plus net!
cp:red Please do not try to avoid the swear filter. See link:rules mod:end
9 REPLIES 9
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: lag with on-line games

Moderators Note.
Moved to the "Gamers Forum" where your post is  are more likely to be seen by fellow games that can offer advice.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Hi alderholt
Welcome to the forum.
Please can I remind you that you are posting on a Community support forum, attitude such as "I pay a premium and am getting a shoddy service, sort it out plus net!" is not going to endear others to help you.
Chilly
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You don't give any info to go on...
What games have the problem?
Is it all games or just some?
Do you have any game server IP addresses we can try?
Is this something that has started happening recently?
What are the ping times to the game server IP address(es).
Is your broadband connection running in interleaved mode?
Posting some tracerts will also help
alderholt

ok, now I have cooled off a little - I'll make a slight apology.
This is an intermitent problem, some times of the day it is fine others it is lousy.
The game I am playing is Secret of the Solstice, when I play using a Cable Modem no problem and that is on a pc with an absolutely lousy spec', and at any time of the day.
I have 3 pc's here at home each with varying specs (Athlon 2000 upto dual core laptop), and all give a similar result, awful lag - but not at all times.
My router is a Netgear DG834GT wireless - I am unsure as to whether interleaved is turned on how can I check this?
Cheers
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If you could do a wireshark capture of the traffic whilst you are playing that will tell PlusNet if the game is been prioritised correctly or not.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,
If it works fine on a cable modem then your netgear router should get the same performance assuming you are using the same cable and socket. I use the same Netgear router as you and play BF2142, BF2 and CS with low stable pings on most servers.
It sounds like someone may be doing something else on you connection at the same time as you are gaming causing it to slow down. My wife helps my gaming by running bbc's iplayer when I am gaming which causes very poor gaming performance until iplayer is stopped.
Hope that helps.
alderholt

The Netgear isn't on the Cable Modem, this is used at a different address, also no one should be on the router, my security is reasonably good
cp:quote
suec45
Grafter

My gaming pings are great as long as the traffic has been put onto Plusnets gaming filter.
Is the game listed in the list of games?
Merrick
Grafter

I have the same router. Works a treat.
Sounds like the game is not having its traffic prioritised. Hows your general web surfing and connection?
Do you get random disconects?