Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lag when playing cod black ops pc online

ste1979
Dabbler

lag when playing cod black ops pc online

hi all
just moved from aol broadband to plusnet, am on the extra+pro gameing package, i also have a static ip, my download speed is 12mb so am happy with that
anyway the problem is when playing black ops online i am getting a fair bit of lag, i have a very good gameing pc...specs are
amd pthenom 965 3.4ghz black edition cpu
1tb hard drive
16gb ram
2x xfx radions hd 5770 double slot gpus in crossfire mode
motherboard is: asus m4a87td
also the game run sweet when i had aol broadband no lag run perfectly, so i know it isnt my pc, i also set my games to high priority in the task manager,
my games run good on single player, just online is rubbish....at this rate i will be going back to aol
if you have any ideas on why this could be happening, your feedback would be good.
thanks
13 REPLIES 13
JamesM
Grafter

Re: lag when playing cod black ops pc online

Are you using the Thomson router ? if you are, try turning off uPNP in the settings, when I was using the Thomson I was getting a ping of 999 in BFBC2, I turned off uPNP and it was good for about 30 minutes then it went crazy again. So if turning it off doesn't work you might have to get a different router.
scootie
Grafter

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/88d6556776027a75001ac5e45413b280.html
if pings from TBB to wan side of your router show as being fine or try the inbuilt ping utility that is found in a lot router firmwares, then its most likely the router setup/ router at fault.
take it no major changes happened to your pc software firewall during the change over of isp's
ste1979
Dabbler

thanks for the fast reply
i  changed the router to the one i was useing with aol, but still got lag....its just crazy because aol are suppose to have a bad rep,
& plusnet are suppose to be one of the best for gameing, but i wish i sayed with aol now, the gameing experiance with them was epic,
no changes have been made & from what i can see the ping is what it should be, the only change that was made is the isp switch over
i do think its a traffic management problem, ive sent a wireshark capture to plusnet...still not heard nothing back from them
what do you guys think, how was your lag issue solved if any, also what is the best router to use for gameing
thanks again
ste1979
Dabbler

Quote from: JamesM
Are you using the Thomson router ? if you are, try turning off uPNP in the settings, when I was using the Thomson I was getting a ping of 999 in BFBC2, I turned off uPNP and it was good for about 30 minutes then it went crazy again. So if turning it off doesn't work you might have to get a different router.

upnp is off,
JamesM
Grafter

I fixed my lag by buying a new router, I bought one of the new Belkin N300 ones. With interleaving off I get one of the best pings in any server I go on. The only problem with the Belkin is that it doesn't give you many stats, just noise margin, output power, sync and attenuation. I am having speed problems at the moment so earlier this week I put the Thomson back on and my speed dropped from 7.6 to less than 2.0 and my ping went from a steady 15 up to 45 + every evening / night. I put my Belkin back on and my speed doesn't drop at all during the evening / night, and when people stop pratting about turning my interleaving back on, my Belkin stays at 15 ping with a few 5's thrown in every now and again.
Anyway, the Belkin was my choice, I am sure you will get lots of recommendations for different routers so the choice will be yours.
ste1979
Dabbler

just got this message from plusnet:
"After checking your line, I can also see a number of errors are occurring which
is more than likely the cause of your lag as it interrupts the transfer of data.
Normally we would apply interleaving to your line to resolve this, however this
may affect your service further as it can slightly increase ping times"
right so if that is the case wouldnt it be better to turn interleaving on, i know i would get a slightly higher ping, but it would also make the line more stable
does anyone know if aol have it on or off, becuase yet again it worked fine with them.
thanks again to everyone for your help.
StuartUK35
Grafter

dont know how black ops works, but i play MW2 on PC....
and most of the games i join (no lobbys in MW2, just random seeking of a game in P2P mode), ALWAYS put me in a game which is lagged to hell Sad
I have Fibre with PRO service.....
For me, its almost like i am always routed out of the UK Sad
1.  Launch Modern Warfare 2, click PLAY, then FIND GAMES
2.  Goes past the 150ms search barrier, then says 'waiting for available games'
3.  When a game is picked up, the time it takes from clicking 'FIND GAMES' is approx 210 seconds (3 1/2 mins).....
4.  Games found tend to be anywhere south of Spain! Sad  sometimes i become host, or pick up a euro host, but rarely do i find myself with UK players Sad
I also play Left for Dead 2 on the PC, but that doesnt use the same style of P2P protocols, so when launching that, i'm in straight away, and find UK hosts aswell as euro hosts....
Problem = PN......  I just learn to deal with it now..... and shout FFS quite a few times when i spend 7 to 11 mins trying to find a stable game in MW2 !  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
ste1979
Dabbler

just thought you should know, plusnet pro is supposed to be for gaming low ping/ latency, & interleaving is supposed to be turned off,
what a load of bull that is, just got a email from plusnet saying thy carnt turn interleaving off at the moment, sorry but it should be off anyway
as thats what am paying for plusnet pro, the only way i can get low pings is to leave interleaving off
been with plusnet for 2weeks & now am going back to aol where i could play a good pc game without issue
or feeling like am being ripped off
also ive used up my 60gb usage withing that 2weeks gaming, so am being charged £5+perday for extra 5gb, this is getting silly & expensive,
the worsed broadband provider ive ever had
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It does sound like something it wrong there.  We need to get Interleaving on to see if that stabilises the line.
Have you tried plugging your router directly into the master socket and using an ethernet cable, just to eliminate any house wiring and wireless interference problems?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

btw gpu-reballer.  You closed your fault ticket with us about interleaving.  I presume that was accidental?  You'll need to go and open a new fault Sad
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
ste1979
Dabbler

my router is next to the master socket, ive checked everything & my gameing pc is connected via ethernet,
ive done everything i can think off, ive even changed routers, but still get lag, i also set my games to high priority including game overlay etc....no joy
it doesnt matter now anyway because am leaving due to the problems am getting with you, so any cancelation fees you try & charge me will be dealt with,
its just getting silly & i carnt be arsed sending emails daily trying to sort the problem out.
scootie
Grafter

put the interleaving on dude. whats you min ping to bbc.co.uk now? it will raise but i ran a 63+db attention (1.7mb) post office line with no option for fast path and got 32ms but it was stable as a rock, where my now 30mb virgin line gives min 14ms but  loads of jitter. i would happly go back to a stable 32ms line http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/88d6556776027a75001ac5e45413b280.html
ste1979
Dabbler

cheers for the help mate but am done with plusnet, thy keep charging me £5+ perday for extra usage, so my bill for broadband alone will be £100+
ive allready been charged £15 in 24hours, gonna go unlimited again.
thank again though dude
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]. Please use the 'Reply' button when replying to the post immediately above.