cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lag issue when playing multiplayer online games

iabdul
Hooked

lag issue when playing multiplayer online games

Hi, my kids have been complaining about lag and disconnects when playing online on various games, internet speed is fine and i have set up a static ip in the dmx for the ps4 and tried port forwarding with limited success. Can anyone suggest anything as im stuck, if not my contract is up in 3 months so ill have to move to another provider.

13 REPLIES 13
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: lag issue when playing multiplayer online games

All games? or just some in particular?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
iabdul
Hooked

it is on minecraft on tablet, COD, a a couple of other online games which i cant remember the names off. I think offline is fine but online there are lag issues. Any online game.

keyholder
Grafter

I have the same issues with cod4mw. even if i host ppl complain of lagging... if i play on a uk server or a Eu server (say germany ) i still lag.

Other ppl from the uk get at least an 8ms lower ping whilst im on a min 38ms ping.

However its not the ping thats the issue its the constant lagging... its like the game runs in slow mo mode.. then mysteriously speed up. Everytime im running around a map i freeze for a second then carry on as normal..

Christ i cant even hit a 200ms player. My line stats are within spec, i have no line faults, no packet loss.. so its a pn issue. We never had this issue on sky by the way.

My network at home is all cat6a wired, and all devices have been setup to give gaming traffic priority... all voip , p2p get limited. Any other traffic thats not under my qos rules gets routed into the p2p group which is limited.. and over 100 connections of p2p get queued or thier packets dropped

and i still frigging lag so its time to ditch pn for me!
Kelly
Hero

Do you think you'd be able to get us a wireshark capture of a few minutes of gaming where the rubberbanding and lagging is happening?

Kelly Dorset
keyholder
Grafter

Hi kelly...
If you mean me kelly.. then sorry no..
Im ditching pn and in the process of switching over to bt.
Kelly
Hero

If it's a broadband fault, you might take it with you.  Either way, let us know if it improves with BT or not.

Kelly Dorset
iabdul
Hooked

ill give this a go over the weekend

@Kelly wrote:

Do you think you'd be able to get us a wireshark capture of a few minutes of gaming where the rubberbanding and lagging is happening

Kelly
Hero

@iabdul Any luck?

Kelly Dorset
iabdul
Hooked

sorry, its the kids who complain so have downloaded wireshark on my laptop but they usually tell me after it happens. i have told them that i need to run wireshark whilst it is going on and hopefully they will let me know in the hols. 

Kelly
Hero

I've just realised if you are trying to wireshark PS4 traffic, it's not straight forward.  You'll need to mirror traffic from your router to the device doing the capturing.  Do you have this in hand, or do you need a bit more support?

Kelly Dorset
iabdul
Hooked

i was just hoping to hard wire via cat5 to the router then run wireshark, will this do?

Kelly
Hero

Unfortunately not.  Just looking at little deeper, if you are using a Hub One, its not possible to mirror traffic from it. Sad

Kelly Dorset
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

... Not without additional hardware.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵