cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is plusnet extra package the best for gaming???

chopper79

is plusnet extra package the best for gaming???

hi, i can not get adsl2 so my line speed is estimated at 7meg. i am only interested getting the best connection when playing my xbox online. i have signed up for plusnet extra as that has a static ip but just done a ping test and got "ping 52ms" "jitter 14ms". when i ordered the guy told me there was a packaging for gaming but as i can only get up to 7meg at best i wasnt sure if i would benefit. i can upgrade at any time and i will if it would give me better connection for gaming. does anyone know if i would benefit from the gaming package and how. thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: is plusnet extra package the best for gaming???

Hi
The package you are on " Extra " Is fine for gaming If your gaming on a console ( Xbox), Not sure about PC Gaming but According to Plusnet this package Is the gaming package you seek which boasts the following
All traffic prioritised at all times
Low latency and pings
Reliable and stable connection
Up to 20Mb download speeds
Static IP available and turn interleaving off if you need to
20GB usage allowance
Free usage between midnight-8am (perfect for scheduling large downloads)
Yorkshire-based call centre, online and by phone
My bold Is what really makes all the difference no matter what package. In my opinion and as a gamer on the Xbox myself "Extra Is perfect for your gaming AND surfing needs.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Latency and interleaving are the same on all packages... the package you are on does not affect either.
The only gaming benefit with Pro is it will pick up new games and run them at line speed, whereas the other packages have to wait until plusnet "classify" the data as gaming before you get line speed on it.
chopper79

hi, thanks a lot for that. i dont think ill bother with the upgrade based on the advice from both of you. i would of gone for it if they really could of reduced my ping and latency but as thats not going to happen then im happy with the extra package. should i call them and get interleaving turned off then ( im a bit of a newb with all this ) as my main priority is gaming and doing anything i can to optimise my connection. thanks
Steve
Seasoned Pro

If you have a rock solid connection then there Is no harm In requesting Interleaving be switched off, And If your connection goes belly up It can always be applied again.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What sort of ping are you expecting?
You see people saying that they have 15ms, in reality that is usually an ISP CSA doing a ping from work, or its the current form game hosting of not using dedicated servers, but anyone with a connection can host so they endup with 15ms as thats about right for a lan ping to their router and everyone else has 50+ who connects to them hosting it.
So 50ms[probably 30ish if interleaving is turned off] as an external ping and once in game it is probably 75ms[50], is more than usable.  As an ex UT player from 1989-2005 on dialup with an avg ping of 125 to peek of 250 if a US host, you have it easy.
Its the sad fact that software houses are less likely to support games by supplying dedicated servers with the advent of consoles being the more common form of online game for first person shooters, if dedicated servers are used then everyones ping with be dependent on their connection and not if someone who is running p2p in the background or other downloads to cheat causing anyone connecting to lag worse as they as the host won't.
So if you want an even field in FP's play games that have dedicated servers.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi chopper79,
It looks like there's been an order placed this morning to turn interleaving off. You should have had a confirmation ticket about this.
Jojo Smiley