cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iRacing & Plusnet's Traffic Management System

Battenberg
Dabbler

iRacing & Plusnet's Traffic Management System

I haven't been able to play iRacing online for the past 2 months, due to semi-regular wild fluctuations in ping (causing me to disappear around competitors on track, causing mayhem). Like a good little boy, I researched the problem, and did a Wireshark and Ping plotter capture.
The pingplotter trace showed that the ping fluctuations started at Plusnet's servers. The Wireshark capture confirmed that the outbound traffic (from me to the game server) had a Differentiated Services Field of 0x00 (Bronze); and the inbound traffic (from game server to me) has a Differentiated Services Field of 0x80 (Gold). They should both be 0xa0 (Titanium), as stated here. iRacing is already listed as a defined game on Plusnet's traffic management database, and yet I'm still having the issues resulting in me not being able to do my main hobby.
So, in early Feburary I sent off a support ticket to Plusnet, attaching the Wireshark capture as advised. After a long and arduous series of phone calls and more support tickets, the latest correspondence from support came last Thursday (3rd April), saying "I've raised a request to add this game to our traffic management database with the suppliers of our traffic management systems. They are usually very good at processing these requests and it should be added shortly.". Is this now out of Plusnet's hands? The problem still isn't fixed, and I don't have much faith left after 2 months of nothing. Has anyone else been in this sort of situation?
Here is some additional information if anyone wants to do some sleuthing: iRacing overview; What ports does iRacing use?.
...Also, are there any other iRacers floating around here?
Edit - The Wireshark capture I linked to was using one of iRacing's US servers (69.25.205.247). They also have server farms in Australia and the Netherlands. Their details can be found here.
18 REPLIES 18
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: iRacing & Plusnet's Traffic Management System

...Also, are there any other iRacers floating around here?

Yes. Me!
I'm only in the low tiers (Mazda's) at the moment as I stopped for a couple of years and only recently started playing it again, but haven't noticed any noticeable issues (I recently moved from Fibre to ADSL too).
I've just had a look over your ticket and caught up with the latest on the iRacing traffic management signature, and we've received this now from our suppliers. We need to get this added (along with some other signatures) to the traffic management devices and expect this to happen next week.

Just as a slight off-topic query, what wheel/pedals do you use if you don't mind me asking. I've got a DFGT with customised gearshifts along with Fanatec CSR Elite pedals.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Battenberg
Dabbler

That's great news! Thanks!
I also use a DFGT with CSR Elite pedals, but I just use the normal paddle buttons on the wheel. Upgrading from the Logitech pedals to the Fanatecs was probably the best purchase I've made all year!
I've been driving the Ford GT in the official multi-class Proto/GT series for the last few seasons, and occasionally other GT series or leagues. I love the endurance and multi-class style of racing.  I'm very much looking forward to the BMW Z4 GT3 being released in the next build.
Chris
Legend

I really couldn't get on with the gear shift buttons on the wheel, so have tried 2 different mods. My favourite of the 2 is the dynamic shifters from granturgismo.com, although I did use superglue rather than the sticky pads supplied.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Battenberg
Dabbler

Is it possible to let me know when the new signature is added? A reply to this thread would be fine. I have the week off work, and it would be nice to get some racing in.
Chris
Legend

Yep, will do.
Battenberg
Dabbler

Lovely, thanks!
Chris
Legend

The job and signature updates are with our network operations team to apply, for my reference these are job 131136
Battenberg
Dabbler

Good, I like progress. Thanks for the update.
Chris
Legend

I'll chase these up on Tuesday when I'm back in the office.
Battenberg
Dabbler

The new iRacing build comes out this afternoon, It would be great to be able to play with the new toys later.
Chris
Legend

I'm chasing this up at the moment. TBH though you should be able to play without issues as long as there isn't any other usage at the same time on your internal network.
Battenberg
Dabbler

Yup, when all of the house mates are out it's mostly ok, but that's rarely the case unfortunately.
If I were to log into my router (technicolor tg582n), is there anyway I can assign a local network priority to my pc's ip address, over say, some of the other devices connected on the network? When everyone's home, there's usually 4 smart phones, a laptop, and an Xbox running Netflix connected at the same time as my pc.
Although, I guess the traffic management does this already on an application basis, rather than the actual devices running them. Maybe prioritising devices on a local network is a bit redundant in this case?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Prioritising that games upload data via the router might be beneficial.  We can't QoS that and if there is a lot of upload going on, it can max your upstream and cause problems like this.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Battenberg
Dabbler

I had a look around the router's control panel and couldn't find anything immediately obvious. I don't want to break anything, so I'm just going to sit tight and wait for the new signature to be added.