cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high ping with plusnet..........low ping with talk talk

kevyandrean
Grafter

high ping with plusnet..........low ping with talk talk

I play alot of games including quake live. iv recently moved from talk talk where i was getting a ping of 20 to plusnet where my ping is never bellow 40 and at times can be as high as 300 for a good few hours. Now i haven't changed anything my side so this can only be something to do with plusnet.  I also took up that gaming thing they do for an extra £5 and it didnt make a bit of difference. Im impressed with plus-net customer services but extremely disappointed with the product i am receiving off them at the moment.  Can anyone tell my why the quality of my connection has dropped with plusnet even though im paying extra?  thanks
13 REPLIES 13
kevyandrean
Grafter

Re: high ping with plusnet..........low ping with talk talk

plus net are being awful quiet on this. All i want to know is how come the quality of my service has dropped compared to talk talk. I could have up to 4 devices connected via wifi with talk talk and my ping wouldn't be effected at all. However with plusnet 1 connection plays havoc with my ping. I phoned but the guy on the other end didnt have a clue, He was going on about my download speed etcetc. Whats going on plusnet? My ping in every game has gone up massively since talktalk. If even 1 device connect to the router games become unplayable. Im even paying an extra £5 a month that hasn't made any difference at all.
kevyandrean
Grafter

Just spoke to a very nice man at plusnet. hopefully everything will be sorted Smiley
nicnicnic

i also am experiencing the same issues - slow speeds, high ping - its ridiculous. Cant play on xbox live and have ipad on at the same time!!!!!!!
would like to know how yours is getting fixed please!!!!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Mathias
Grafter

Can you give more information kevyandrean how Plusnet propose to fix this and whether it actually works?
Whilst Chris's info is important to test for nicnicnic (although his problem is more that he just has slow speeds, rather then soley high ping), if the line and equipment (maybe other than using the Plusnet router are unchanged) then it's hard to understand why the service isn't similar and may be a reason for all the gaming ping issues we have being seeing on Plusnet as of late.
Chris do you have more info other than testing equipment?
kevyandrean
Grafter

what ever they done give me a wonderfull ping. however yesterday and today its shot back up to what it was Sad as if someones reversed what the other man done to fix my issue  Huh
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What is your ping at now? (and what was it when it was low?)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
kevyandrean
Grafter

it was 40 to 999 before someone fixed it. Then after he done his stuff i was getting 20 to 25 max Smiley . now its back to what it was.  It was good for about a week. Its been bad for about 2 to 3 days now. Infact i just tried to play quake and world of tanks and they are unplayable. im paying an  extra £5 for this :(.  The  man said at the time there was something on my line restricting my ping. He took it off and after a day or so my ping was as i said awesome. Can i have it back please? Smiley thanks for reply btw
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We're taking a look over this now. Couple of points from me while we look into the rest though.
The  man said at the time there was something on my line restricting my ping. He took it off and after a day or so my ping was as i said awesome. Can i have it back please?

This is interleaving (a form of error correction). When it's turned on it increases pings slightly due to the additional error correction ongoing, this was turned off for you and remains off (although we're double checking that).
im paying an  extra £5 for this

That sounds like the Pro add-on, which really shouldn't be needed on Unlimited. In fact if you're using your line heavily while gaming too, Pro can actually have an adverse affect as it gives all traffic a high priority.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked over your line and it looks to be performing very well.
Are you able to run speed test/ping test on another device to see if you get any different results?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Could any of the issues here be causing the increase pings?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115437.msg995313.html#msg995313
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kevyandrean
Grafter

hello and thank you for your replys. since i had those issues in the thread that you posted a link to i have had a neighbour who is a  network administrator  give my pc a good seeing to. All them issues and more are fixed.  Im just wondering if there's a possibility someone could be connected to my network without permission? Im been trying to get into my router as well  but the password i set doesn't work and the original password doesn't work.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The original password (beginning 'CP') is case sensitive. so any letters are in uppercase. Does that help?