Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high ping when using origin

FIXED
soddit
Grafter

high ping when using origin

My son plays battlefield 4 via the origin servers. He tells me he logs in to servers with a low ping  (18-20ms) but once he connects his ping levels rocket to 3 figure levels.
can any one tell me a possible cause?

• is it a router setting?

• a pc issue?

• or something out of my control at origin or Plusnet?

I'd appreciate a little guidance on this before he drives me nuts
7 REPLIES 7
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: high ping when using origin

TBH for some reason after latest patch from Dice/EA  a lot of people complain on the BF forums about increase of ping  , most likely cause is the BF servers .
as a matter of interest , which router do you have and are you fibre or ADSL ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
soddit
Grafter

A tp-link TD-W9980 VDSL (fibre) wifi unit
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

unfortunately if he connected Via WIFI thats his problem  Undecided 
Best way if he is too far from the router to connect a cable is to get some homeplugs  Wink 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

could be a number of things, is his pc downloading updates while his gaming ? Have u checked to make sure his not running any other programs that might be using his connection, also whats his game filters ? make sure he is connecting to servers within the EU otherwise if he trys to access an american server he could be looking a high pings. Also make sure his wireless card or usb is upto date. But like rongtw said wireless might be the issue altho my nepthew manages to play on xbox when he comes over and he never has high ping on mine, im on 65/20. If it was me id try to rule a few things out first because wifi on fibre should still give u low pings
vicky1959
Grafter

Try also cleaning your cookies out download free version of Ccleaner,i get it sometimes after updates, hardwire is best for gaming
NoZephy
Rising Star

Just want to chip in here.
Is this only happening when he is connected to a server and running about/shooting etc?
Recently DICE updated BF4, in an attempt to fix hitreg and make the online more responsive they've upped the refresh hz of each server to 60hz or even 120hz. Before they used to have an option to "Enable High Frequency Updates" which wasn't recommended for people on slower ADSL connections as it used more of your upload speed, however that's not an option now and the servers are either 30/60/120hz depending on the provider of the server and the hardware they use.
Is your connection stable when you do anything else? It's only an issue when it comes to BF4 and no other online game?
Also make sure nothing else is sucking up bandwidth on the network while he's playing
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Fix
I don't play bf but ive been experience similar problems with origin games, so theres a chance it could be the origin update that's caused a bug in the connection, as a side note I ran a btw speed test whilst my intenet connection was in heavy use (iptv service running as well as 4 people using xbox live connections 4 tablets running Skype /face time and a bunch of other streaming services, the speedtest reported ping of 35 with download speed of 61mbps and upload of 16, when I have nothing connected but my pc with nothing running I get between 60 and 65mbps download speed with an upload of between 16 and 20 normally, perhaps there is a problem with the measuring equipment /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you