cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gaming routers - do they reduce ping?

max99
Grafter

gaming routers - do they reduce ping?

been doing some surfing and came across some chat from pc gamers claiming that specific 'gaming' routers are important to keep latency low.  just wondered if anyone on here has a view on this?  how much can they reduce ping if at all?
the DGL-4300 router gets allot of good credit for gaming for example.
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: gaming routers - do they reduce ping?

Can't see it myself.
Latency is affected by all the equipment between you and the game server (plus the game server itself) so I don't see how changing only one piece of equipment will have any affect on ping times.
As for the router... looks like marketing hype to me. At even the fastest broadband speeds (20Mbs) having a gigabit network port is not going to get your data to/from the remote server any quicker than a 100Mbs network port would. If it's using Qos to prioritise gaming data that falls flat when it hits a router that does not support Qos. Qos is not something BT do on their network as far as I know.
This is also not an ADSL router so you will need an Ethernet modem / other ADSL router to connect to the phone line negating any possible improvements the 'Gamefuel' enhancements make plus adding another hop to the latency.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'd agree with Peter totally, looking at the product all it might do for you is get you some better performance over your local network if there are others using it.
If you're the only one using it and it's you're only gaming then I can't see any benefit and certainly not for the 130 quid odd - you could probably by a better all round router for that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
leeanthony
Grafter

but "its sexy and has blue l.e.d's"!  Crazy
*Edit: Added quotes*