cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gaming on plusnet why is it so slow

rodtrotter
Grafter

gaming on plusnet why is it so slow

hi i have been with plusnet now for just over a week with my last supplier i got 2.5 meg all the time and all 3 of us playing mw2 online at the same time and using ts was no problem at but now cant use ts at all when in game and as soon as any one else logs on to the internet it slows down to a crawl is this the best plusnet can offer ? if so iam going back to adsl24 i hoe i have not made a big mistake by using plusnet
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: gaming on plusnet why is it so slow

What are your router stats and have you changed router
A BT speed test would be useful as would the current line speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
scootie
Grafter

which package you on?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml
line stats, connection speed, snr, attention (both up,down)
would be helpful to set a ttb ping monitor up, only your router needs to be on and respond to pings on wan set up on router if its not all ready.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/88d6556776027a75001ac5e45413b280.html
if the tbb pings dont show any major increases during the insane periods with pc an gaming running then its going to be a router lan side issue, if tbb shows same insane periods then maxing upload download is likely
rodtrotter
Grafter

current line speed is showing this Estimated line speed:1.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-09-06 20:38:17Current line speed: 2.5 Mb i am on the extra package 60gb usage using the thompson router i got from plusnet i have set up the router the best i can i also turned off the router firewall just in case that was slowing it down
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one week means you are still within your line 10 day training period, are you leaving your router on 24/7, you should be
rodtrotter
Grafter

yes its on 24/7 apart from when i first set it up i turnd if off once
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rodtrotter,
I'm sure I can get this sorted for you. Are you using any extension cables/sockets before the router. Could you plug into the test socket so I could run some tests? Your SNR is quite high at the moment so if we could get your line set up better I could probably make your speed much higher than the current 2000k
Jojo Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Handy tip  Wink for gaming turn UPNP OFF in router settings,,  it helps a lot  Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
rodtrotter
Grafter

hi yes i do use a extension cables/sockets before the router but i have done for years now and like i say i got a constant 2.5meg with a low ping all the time night or day with my last 2 suppliers the last onme was adsl24 the only two things i have changed is my router to a thompson and my supplier to plusnet i have done all the port forwarding and all the settings i can think of
what is happening is than when i am online in a game say mw2 i get a lot of lag and ts keeps dropping out plus if anyone else uses the internet at all it just slows right down to a crawl any help would be appreciated i have just finished the first ten days and it not getting any better sad face
rodtrotter
Grafter

i have just turned off  UPNP  in router settings hope that helps
one thing i can say that plusnets customer sevices are the best by far that i have ever deat with  Smiley
quinndp
Dabbler

I get similar issues, PS3 hangs or drops connection when in middle of game with someone else using a laptop in the house just doing general browsing and not downloading. Doesnt matter whether PS3 is wired or wireless, same issue. Wouldnt mind but I have a fairly good 10mb download speed and right next door to exchange too. I believe its got to be the thomson router as never had this issue on my old reliable voyager router.
rodtrotter
Grafter

ok i will give my old netgear a go see if that helps anyone know what settings i should use with the netgear on plusnet bb ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rodtrotter,
Quote from: rodtrotter
hi yes i do use a extension cables/sockets before the router

Extension cables are notorious for causing trouble. I'd be interested to know the results via the test socket.

Jojo Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rodtrotter,
Regarding the settings, it should be fine with standard settings (PPPoA, VPI/VCI 0 and 38 respectively) - just make sure you've put in your username and realm (whatever you log into the portal with, with @plusdsl.net on the end for the realm) and your account password and it should work fine.
There's more detail on our website here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/connections_settings.shtml