cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dodging fire & online fps's

Blim
Grafter

dodging fire & online fps's

Does anyone remember the days you could dodge and hide behind things to avoid being shot at?
Its been years since I've played at a competitive level but I'm sure it never used to be this bad when it comes to taking damage well after moving to cover. I'm not talking about cod or battlefield. I've been playing some older games such as ut, cs or q3a and I seem to be seeing this same delay I thought was only in new games.

Ive tried everything I can think of. Configuring windows network setting to work with my connection speed/latency and I've also removed my routers buffer to prevent buffer bloat but with no luck what so ever.
The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to tweak the openreach vdsl modem and I really don't want to do this.

Does anyone have any idea whats to blame here and is there anything I can do to stop this delay when connected with 11ms ping to a server and others also with less than 30 ping connected only.
14 REPLIES 14
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: dodging fire & online fps's

Unless you know each and every player in the server with UT99/2003-4 then more likely hacking players.  It was up to the player base to add cheat protection with server side checks, Epic/Atari never once gave us any form of cheat protection.  They would ban them from the global list if reported enough but never once did they give us the tools to check for cheats.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Blim
Grafter

I know, cheating killed ut. Unless they use aimbots its really hard to spot a cheater and even when I know a guy is cheating. getting a admin to ban him is harder than spotting it in the first place. but anyway, I could talk about this all day. Cheaters ruined online gaming for me back when I was very high rank. then I lost my internet and by the time I was back online the game had died and all that was left was 2+ servers with anyone in and the game type I liked, clearly they was cheating or it was a demo server... The legend server (ictf) is just full of trigger bots, even the admin seems to be cheating. I never known so many people with such a fast aim but low efficiency%. they try to miss to make up for the cheating but they over compensate.
damn forgot what I was going to say now lol

flaminmoses
Grafter

there is a way but i cant work out how to do it because the idiot wouldnt tell me what router he has.

you need to set up a qos where download is prioritized and upload is kept the same.
thats the simple way of explaining it.
ive tried this on my router but can only make upload not as much of a priority as download.........didnt notice any difference.
i cant find a router which you can enter tos values.....i suspect this bloke had some high end cisco router which would cost quite a bit 300quid plus.
Blim
Grafter

ToS type of service? I used to play around with this back when my computer was connected direct to a cable modem and had a big affect on my ping times when connected to servers but I wasn't playing much fps at the time. I wonder if that setting still has an effect.
I'm not sure if I can use QoS to prioritized download from up. I could use QoS and put a limit on upload but leave download uncapped bvut that isn't the same thing
ToS, yes I might have to look into this, does anyone els know anything about this setting and if it has an effect on my connection? I guess only PN would know this.
Edited: because I clearly didn't read what you posted.
flaminmoses
Grafter

some routers allow more complex rules regarding tos.
problem is ive searched high and low and the only indication was that cisco routers had the option of manually changing settings.
dunno if anyone can identify with the following and point us in the right direction???
•Use QoS to give High Priority to your Download (DSCP of 2e in Hex) on the Router
•Use QoS to give Regular Priority to your Upload (DSCP of 0 in Hex) on the Router
flaminmoses
Grafter

maybe even its something plusnet can implement for us????Huh
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

This is something I've looked at and did set up on a ZyXEL router I was using. The bottle neck on the upstream is almost always the DSL line so needs the router to act on the marking as well as it being tagged. I'll have a look at my ZyXEL tonight and see exactly what it does and reply back tomorrow when I've had chance to check.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
flaminmoses
Grafter

thanks.
zubel
Community Veteran

The reason downstream QoS "works" is because Plusnet can actually identify the traffic using their switches.
The problem with trying to use QoS on the upstream is the capacity of your router to identify and classify this traffic in realtime.  Most residential routers are very low clock-speed, low-memory devices.  They are capable of 'passing through' a large amount of data, but actually processing that data in realtime and identifying it correctly is likely beyond most of them.
However...
Some of the more "featured" routers or custom firmwares do have rulesets that allow you to specify some basic translation rules, and with a bit of thought you can probably produce quite a short list of rules to apply to upstream traffic to at least assist in prioritisation, even if it doesn't go the whole hog and classify everything.  In terms of upstream, you probably want to identify and down-prioritise "bulk" traffic, (like bittorrent).  Whilst the port range that Bittorrent uses is usually dynamic, you can actually specify it in the client, then set up a rule identifying that traffic as a candidate for low QoS.
Having done this at a commercial level with a 1Gbps fibre leased line, I can attest that it is /most definitely/ not for the faint hearted though! Smiley
B.
flaminmoses
Grafter

my router has a lot of ram so should be able to deal with this but there isnt the firmware available to implement qos like on the actiontec (from the states).
the aim is to keep upload on normal and to get the relevant download packets in as top priority.

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

This is the guide for my router
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-2612HNU-F1/user_guide/P-2612HNU-F1_3.10_ed1.pdf
Page 189 onwards deals with the QoS, it actually does a lot more than I thought it did so easier to post a link to the manual.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
flaminmoses
Grafter

Thanks dave
i'll take a look.
Blim
Grafter

This isn't really worth doing if the network isn't in use in the first place. Like in my case, the only other thing connected to my internet is a laptop and not only does it hardly ever get used. Its only ever using small amounts of bandwidth at any time and never p2p packets. Maybe VoIP at the most. But the wireless bandwidth is like 11Mbps down/up and the internet is 72/18Mbps down/up.
flaminmoses
Grafter

not sure thats true.
the queing system is what is relevant not the data rate.
what we need is the relevant packets which are downloaded to be more of a priority than the relevant uploaded packets.
only briefly read the part of the manual and just trying to get my head around what the manual calls uploaded....because im not sure if could mean uploaded from the router to the "device"
one thing i noticed it mentions upload priority but not download priority so i will scour some forums to find out more.

the actiontec is the only router i know of at the minute that does what i need.
a right pain to get hold of one though