Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting ps3 using new Thompson TG585 router

snobdr
Dabbler

connecting ps3 using new Thompson TG585 router

Can anyone help please
i am a complete noob and cannot get my PS3 connected to the internet.
I have tried all the "easy" and automatic options for the settings and still no luck  Sad
5 REPLIES 5
timlake
Grafter

Re: connecting ps3 using new Thompson TG585 router

Are you using wireless or wired connection?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Try putting your PS3 in the routers DMZ if that is possible.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I had issues with this as well, I had to fix it by manualy setting it's network details.
The problem I kept getting was DNS errors, It seems that the router and the PS3 couldn't communicate the global DNS address information using the DHCP for some reason (perhaps worth a review by some techie at the PN Towers?).  Here's how I fixed it.
Use the advanced setup on the PS3 Network Settings and assign the following :-
IP address : pick somthing in the same scope as the router, default is 192.168.1.xxx (pick a number between 2 and 254 for the xxx part, I recomand somthing higher than 10 if you have other devices connected)
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : the IP address of the Router, default is 192.168.1.1
Primary/Preffered DNS is 212.159.6.9
Secondary/Alternate DNS is 212.159.6.10
The DNS details are for Plusnet, I don't know about force9 or the other one, but I'm sure someone on here can give you them if you need them.
Hope this helps
Ianwild
Grafter

The DNS would be the same on f9, and that should fix it anyway, but this is certainly odd sounding.
Was that with the 585V7 too MuppetGrinder?
Ian
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

yip, I had it working with a crappy old linksys for a little while, cause unfortunately I decided to sign up just at the time you switched supplyers, and my router order got lost in the system Tongue
It was running of DHCP just dandy, then I stuck the Thompson on and all of a sudden DNS errors start poping up.  Never payed it too much head to start with cause I don't go online with the PS3 much, only to register DMC4 scores.  Eventualy I got round to having a look at it.  Initialy I thought it might be an issue cause I was connecting through a 16 port Netgear unmanaged switch, but even when I put it strait into the router it's self, still the DNS.  Then I thought it was a lan dns problem, because my media server was missing from the PS3 selection menu.  That's when I discovered it just wasn't getting the DHCP info from the router.  Still to this day don't know why.  DHCP works for wirless to the laptop, and wired to the other PC's, just not to the PS3. 
Point for note - I had just upgraded the firmware on the PS3 prior to connecting it to the Thompson (2.4.9 or somthing like that - I can check tonight when I get back from work if it would help), might be an issue with that ?_?