cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't get port to open for use with ipcamera

jerryh

can't get port to open for use with ipcamera

I've configured port forwarding for ipcameras before...quite easily via Linksys routers, but this Thomson 585 v8 is proving to be tougher.
So far I've got the "application" port forward configured to 8090 and I've got my device (camera) assigned to the port forward mentioned. I turned off the router firewall.
When I do a port scan, 8090 remains closed and I definitely cannot access the camera via a browser.
Is there a telnet command I can try to confirm the port is open? Otherwise, is there a telnet command I can use to open it?
cheers,
Jerry
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: can't get port to open for use with ipcamera

Is your PlusNet firewall OFF ? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall ( login required )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jerryh

Yes. Router firewall is off.
I'm tempted to try another router. Does Plusnet endorse any other brand or models?
Port forwarding should be easy but this functionality has been made user un-friendly to the extreme by Thomson.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You can use any router you like - I am using a Netgear DG834G
jerryh

Not strictly true.... I tried to use a Linksys WRT54G before the Thomson, but it wouldn't work. It didn't have the PPPoE functionality.
I'm happy to try a D-link, their menu systems are pretty easy to follow.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You don't use PPPoE on Plusnet ADSL so there must be another reason why you want it which I don't know about
jerryh

That's weird. When I was contacting tech support in order to use the WRT54, they told me to make alterations to the PPPoE setting (of which there wasn't one).
That's all slightly off topic anyway.
My main concern is getting this camera set-up (via the Thomson if possible). Once I've configured the port and assigned it to the dedicated device (ie the camera), that' all I should need to do isn't it?
What's my best method of checking whether the port is open? I've been using a port scanning website.
I wondered if someone would know any telnet commands I can use. -cheers - Jerry