cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zx Spectrum

Swift
Dabbler

Zx Spectrum

Hard to believe the ZX Spectrum was launched 25 years ago.
What are your favourite memories of the speccy and your favourite games?
So the loading times were frustrating, but I used to love the excitement of waiting for the likes of Manic Minor and Fantasy World Dizzy to load.  Cheesy
I used to organise weekend competitions with my brother where we'd compete for the highest score on games like Jet Set Willy, The way of the exploding fist, Commandos, Chuckie Egg,  Shocked Samantha Fox Strip Poker. Shocked
I also used to like the text adventures such as The Hobbit.
These are just some of my memories of Spectrum.
30 REPLIES 30
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Zx Spectrum

Ah, my first ever computer, a rubber keyed Spectrum 48k. The games I can remember? Err...
Zoom (came with it)
Zynaps (that was fun)
Target: Renegade (hours of fun. I even found the cheat, purely by accident!)
Commando - that was good. The speccy had by far the best version.
Rainbow Islands - well granted the rainbow colours were somewhat lacking, but you can't deny it played well.
Bionic Commando - still play this one on Mame. You can't beat a classic.
I'd also like to see if any other old speccy fans used to read Your Sinclair... that was also fun, though as I was young at the time I never understood the word 'mutha' which I seem to remember them using a lot.
Bless that machine. It was awesome. Cheers Swift.
James
Grafter

I loved Rainbow Islands.
fakesnake
Grafter

spectrum ha, you haven't lived unless you have been chased by t-rex in monster maze on the zx81.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: fakesnake
spectrum ha, you haven't lived unless you have been chased by t-rex in monster maze on the zx81.

Ahh...now that I do remember Cool
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Rikaitch
Grafter

As proud as I should be, I'm ashamed to say I had a very successful game on the Speccy called Quazatron. Anyone remember it?
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah I remember my first computer, a Commodore 64. Initially I didn't have a tape deck so I had to just mess around with BASIC. I remember typing in listings from Input magazine and elsewhere, finally my parents got me a Simons' Basic cartridge so I could type in the later Input listings!
Kind of ironic given what I do for a living now Cheesy
So I am a bit of a trator for this thread Smiley However my parents getting me a C64 was inspired by us going round a relatives house and seeing his Spectrum, so it did set the trend. I don't really remember playing any speccy games, just him messing around with the volume setting on the tape recorder trying to get anything to load!
I guess this person had a few memories as well.
Strat
Community Veteran

I'm afraid I didn't own a Spectrum.
I made the quantum leap from ZX81 to Acorn Electron having mastered the complexities of Machine Code.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Rikaitch
Grafter

how about a video of old spectrum games on youtube? Yes? Ok, try here
And if you can identify more then 6, be ashamed...
Swift
Dabbler

Manic Miner
Turbo Esprit
Chuckie Egg
Jet Set Willy
Ghosts N Goblins
Rainbow Islands
Take a look at the game when the video reaches 2:08! Could this be where Valve got the strider idea from for Half-Life 2!  Grin Grin
Good find Rik!
Strat
Community Veteran

Everybody is now going to start downloading Spectum Emulators and games.

It's good fun actually as long as your dual core PC is slowed down a little Smiley
Rikaitch
Grafter

I just found this... my game. Ring any bells now?
The guy reviewing it is a complete pleb. All he has to do is enable grapple mode.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Swift
Take a look at the game when the video reaches 2:08! Could this be where Valve got the strider idea from for Half-Life 2!  Grin Grin
Good find Rik!

Probably from War of the Worlds

But one game that springs to mind from the speccy, Death Race.  Racing through woods chasing someone.
I got my speccy claiming to my mum it would help my school work, then it was something like £125 for a 48 with the rubber keys
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Rikaitch
Grafter

Quote from: Gus

But one game that springs to mind from the speccy, Death Race.  Racing through woods chasing someone.

3D Deathchase, by Mervyn Estcourt was a real innovation. It was a simple affair that to this day has no real challenger. Even more amazing was the fact it worked on the 16k as well as the 48k. True testament to how well someone can (and did) program.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
Everybody is now going to start downloading Spectum Emulators and games.

Yep I played with a C64 Emulator the other day, what I liked is the ability to save a memory image and then reload it back in and play the game from where you left off Great for those games which badly needed but never had a save game feature.
Well it's not quite cheating Grin