cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One fibre lag problems.

Bugsco

Xbox One fibre lag problems.

Hi ,I am wondering if anyone can help.

My son and I have an xbox one each and have both been getting lag. Our conection speeds are normally about 36 mbps down 2 mbps down and ping of around 15 ms.

We both play star wars battlefront quite a bit and have been getting lag on it but intermittently and 9 times out of 10 we get lag at exactly at the same time. The game will lag for a for a short amount of time then go to normal. The frequency of this happening changes from once every 10 mins or so, to several times in a minute.

I have tried a wired conection to my own xbox but we get the same problem. It's not a EA server problem as it also happens on GTA online. Also other friends are not getting the same problem and one noticed, when I was complaining about lag, my voice over party chat was also breaking up.

I don't know if it's connected but I also more often than not have an echo on party chat who ever I am talking to.

The problem is worse when more people are using the Internet, IE my daughter is streaming something, but it seems to happen any time of day or night.

I don't think it's a router problem as that has been replaced due to our old one losing conection to the Internet, and the lag happened on that one as well.

I also not sure it may not be a fibre problem as such. Before we upgraded in September, our broadband speeds were about 7 mbps ....can't remember upload but it was about where it should have been with respectable ping. But online gaming was unplayable (Wasn't always like that). Since having fibre installed very wire and box from the master socket is new.

I have rung up plusnet support and the chap did a line test and found nothing wrong, and said he couldn't see any dips in performance. He advised changing router wifi channels, I just can't see how that would effect lag on a wired conection.

I did do a speed test on my phone when I was getting lag a few nights ago and got, 13 mbps download 1.9 upload and 23 ping, no one else in the house using the Internet at the time and at 23:36. But of course the speed test took longer than the lag lasted so not sure if that tells the whole story.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you.
Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Xbox One fibre lag problems.

To be honest, 2Mbps Upload is really pushing it for one person just gaming alone (never mind voice chat), throw multiple people into the mix trying to all use the internet at once and things start to go south, the only solution to that is a higher package with a faster upload (the next one up from the 40/2 is the 80/20), or not play at the same time and not use voice chat...

As for the echo, it's someone else's headset probably, just mute people 'til it stops, then tell them to fix their setup... Smiley

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the first question is what router ?

as to the cause of the lag I would make a guess its something in your house like a mobile phone or tablet dropping and reconnecting to the router, before I wired all my primary gadgets (consoles, pcs & set top boxes) to the router there was a lot of dropouts, the route cause was identified as triggered by bonjour service after days of investigation so I moved the android /apple junk to a different dhcp server and bingo no more problems,

I would expect that the problem is something similar for yourself, anything that sends out an ipv6 neighbour check or dhcp discover request will cause the router to override normal traffic with those requests and responses, its even worse if your router has been configured to log all such instances and the reason for this is most routers lack the required ram to cope...

so yes I would suspect the router as being the problem device especially if its an isp supplied one

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Bugsco

Thanks for the replies,

I do think it's unlikely to be the speed that's causing the problems as I used to play on a normal broadband with few problems for a good while.

And I have dug a little more into the echo, it's definitely not anything to do with mine as has happened on 3 separate headsets I have used.

I am using the ISP given router, a sagemcom 2704n and openreach supplied modem. So your idea that it maybe a router problem may hold some water.

I will look more into it.

Thanks

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if your going to replace the router do yourself a favour and get a "VDSL" modem router unit replacing the need for the BT modem as well,

theres plenty of options out there and whilst I like the billion 8800 others prefer other kit

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you