cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One Strict NAT with Belkin N router

osbald

Xbox One Strict NAT with Belkin N router

Apologies for posting one of these again, just noticed previous post was to the wrong thread. While it is a port forwarding issue I'm trying to fix - its not with one of the plusnet routers.

What I've been struggling with Destiny and the current outage caused by the 2.3.1 patch https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/209806134 .They suggest opening up the NAT on the xbox, but I'm really struggling here. Can anybody spot anything I'm doing wrong here?

---

First thing I tried was updating the router firmware.

I originally had UPnP enabled, but the xbox one network settings was still saying I had a strict NAT. Tried cold booting the router and xbox, nothing changed. My thoughts were maybe this routers UPnP isn't supported by Destiny? so I went on to try port forwarding instead.

So I configured a static IP for the xbox (outside the dhcp range) and forwarded all the TCP & UDP ports mentioned in the Bungie and portforward.com guides, turned off UPnP and cold booted all the kit again but the network settings still shows a strict NAT even with the static IP? Also tried the multiplayer diagnostic and hold down all the triggers and bumpers trick and it still states I'm strict and behind a port-preserving port-symmetric NAT?

lansetting.gifupnpsetting.gifportforwards.gif

Wondering if the Xbox one doesn't like something at the ISP end? I don't have a static IP with the ISP (plusnet) I'm behind their shared private ip? will that cause strict NAT even if I forward all the ports on my router? even if I was using UPnP?

I only use the xbox with a wired ethernet connection into the router (which works fine apart from the reported NAT type) and I'm pretty sure I've configured the port forwarding correctly? can anybody spot where I'm going wrong?

There where some posts just over two weeks ago about a plusnet fault causing strict nats - was that ever fixed?

2 REPLIES 2
osbald

Re: Xbox One Strict NAT with Belkin N router

Alternatively anybody know of a way I can test if these port forwards on my xbox are actually open or not? externally only the private plusnet ip is seen, not sure how to target just the xbox? I can only test this from outside my home network right?

osbald

Re: Xbox One Strict NAT with Belkin N router

Ok I worked out if I port forward my laptops IP rather than the xbox static ip I can portscan via my laptop, so long as I remember to switch them back later I can at least test the router config is working.

What I'm finding is all the TCP ports do appear to be open/fowarded and most of the UDP ports so my config above is correct, but 3 of the 9 UDPs are being problematic.

80 & 4500 are not reporting as open and 3544 won't even scan, says there is a conflict and some other app is also using that port - but I no idea what or where. I'm not running any apps just windows 10 and IE (for the router config). Also tried duplicating forwards for these ports on new lines and toggling between TCP&UDP and individual TCP & UDP pairs, there appears to be something specific about these three ports that is blocking? if I try random port numbers in their place those appear to work.

Anything at plusnet that might be blocking these UDP ports?

Suspect this might be why my upnp config also started showing a strict nat, it would automatically open up the same ports, but if something is blocking 3 of them?

PS Xbox is off & unplugged and I am rebooting the router in between tests just to make sure its not stale state/leases or other device conflicts.