Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One Primary DNS IPV6, changing DNS

F1D
Dabbler

Xbox One Primary DNS IPV6, changing DNS

Hi all,
Using my Xbox One I've noticed that my Primary DNS is always set to an IPV6 address... yet my secondary DNS is a normal IPV4. It always starts with fe80::...
Any ideas why? It also seems to cause a few issues when using something like Unblock US to view US Netflix... although I change the DNS servers the primary remains the same and it doesn't work.
Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Xbox One Primary DNS IPV6, changing DNS

Anything starting with fe80: is a link local address. Is the address coming from your router?
That's RPM to you!!
F1D
Dabbler

Possibly... I read that as well.
I'm not entirely sure what a 'link local' address is however... and if it is coming from the router, can I disable that?
And is it correct that no matter what IP address I set for the primary DNS, it still retains this ipv6 address that doesn't seem to change.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It might be possible to disable, depends on what router you are using. The PN supplied TG582n can be configured via Telnet to disable it's DNS relay address from being handed out automatically.
Link local IPv6 addresses are sort of the equivalent to 192.168.x.x addresses. Not entirely the same but in simple terms you can pretty much think of them in that way.
I'm afraid I have no knowledge of Xbox One settings, let alone the DNS part of it. There should be others on here that will know though, they'll be around at some point to chip in if needed.
That's RPM to you!!