cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox One IvP6?

benmills4335

Xbox One IvP6?

I was having problems with my WiFi bandwidth after speaking with tech support was able to improve it slightly. My Xbox One is currently running on the 5Ghz WiFi signal IvP4. I have seen that IvP6 can improve online gaming and the PlusNet One router supports IvP6. Could anyone tell me if it's worth me doing this and how to do it?
10 REPLIES 10
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Xbox One IvP6?

What did tech support get you to do? Split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz by renaming the 5GHz SSID?

There's a known issue that the Xbox isn't happy when it sees both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the same SSID (other devices are affected too)

Plusnet don't offer IPv6 yet. The hub will support it, once PN play catch up.

Therefore, there's nothing you can do to turn IPv6 on, when PN do, we'll get it.

benmills4335

The router was using both signals on channel 11 they told me how to change it so 2.4Ghz signal is now on channel 3 and 5Ghz signal is on channel 43 as most of my neighbours are on channel 6 or 11.

I renamed the 5Ghz signal so I can put my Xbox One, smart tv's and my phone on this signal and the other mobiles and stepsons Xbox One is on the 2.4Ghz signal. Both consoles while on at the same time are pulling 28Mbps.

Hope PN get the IvP6 running soon.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for the further info.

The only thing about using channel 3 is something called wifi overlap - google if you want to know more. The only channels on the 2.4Ghz spectrum that do not suffer from this is channels 1, 6 or 11. So if you have problems later on, install a wifi analyser on a mobile or tablet and search for the channel with the least congestion (again think about 1, 6 or 11).

The other thing to consider about the 5GHz spectrum is that it doesn't reach as far as the 2.4Ghz one. Therefore even if wifi enabled devices see it, it might not be the best one to use. This could be why both Xbox's are showing as the same connection speed to the hub.

(Obviously ethernet would be better for the Xbox's and TV, but running cables everywhere isn't always practical).

benmills4335

I got the WiFi analyser and watched it as I walked around the house for a couple of hours. I believe my neighbours routers are set to automatic as I saw them switching between channels 1,6 and 11. I know channel 3 will get overlap from channel 1 and 6, but I thought that would of been the better choice with fewer loss dB's.

On the WiFi analyser I'm the only one using a 5Ghz signal.

I am looking at other factors for signal loss like my wireless home phone, but not sure if it is worth getting powerline adapter.

Currently running -48dB on 2.4Ghz and -53dB on 5Ghz.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Most ISP routers are set to auto, with some sort of 'smart' wifi setup. IMHO they're not as smart as a user that knows what to do and glad to hear you've been checking the rivals out!! Wink

If you're no longer having issues, I'd personally leave it as is - plus it's the cheapest option Smiley

I have PLA's here, but set them so they go from the PNH1 to a BTHH, from the latter it gives me extra wifi networks and my lad connects his XB1 to that via ethernet.

benmills4335

Without having an expensive spec anne I can't see what is causing interference. Shame you can't change the pwr setting on the router. Glad to know that you agree that I have pretty much done as much as I can. Thanks for the help. 🙂
DS
Seasoned Champion

Try and explain the interference in some detail if possible ... are the XB1's dropping the wifi, or getting booted from sessions? (any errors on screen)

I'm on the fence with the following, but you can tweak the 2.4Ghz speed by changing the wireless interface type from the default to 300Mb/s. Click this link and it'll take you to the correct hub page - click me but don't forget to click apply before exiting the page ;). The 5Ghz is already on it's fastest setting.

benmills4335

Streaming through the XB has been slow some times. The interference is common things such as wireless house phone and baby monitor and where the hub is located. I'm looking into finding out what frequency they all run on to determine if this is causing some of the loss. I work in communications but I only know enough about computers and LANs to get by.
DS
Seasoned Champion

TBH, I too am not getting the best experience when trying to stream atm, even though when I do (youtube as a test) it can be out of focus, blurry or the dreaded loading swirl. Having said that, you might not be having the same issue.

As a quick test, could you not turn off the phone and the monitor (obviously with the baby/youngster) safe, then try the XB1's and slowly introduce the phone - see if anything happens, then the monitor and again see if anything happens.

Ideally to get the best out of wifi, the router needs to be in sight of the device you're using - but yeah I know that's not likely to happen unless you live in a converted warehouse that's open plan!!.

Finding and fixing wifi issues is a right pita, you may succeed, you may not - but don't get too paranoid over it, or else you'll end up like me!!!!! Wink

ghos7
Grafter

ipv4 is nothing to do with wifi m8. ipv4 and 6 is just ip addresses. cant wait for plusnet to catch up with other isps and deliver ipv6. ipv4 gives too many nat problems when gaming. come on plusnet dish out them ipv6 addresses 🙂