cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox – Midnight cut-off blues, can you help?

God
Grafter

Xbox – Midnight cut-off blues, can you help?

Hi Folks
If I am using my Xbox at midnight without fail on the stroke of midnight I get the message that I have been disconnected from Xbox live, if I am in the middle of a multiplayer game I am screwed and have to log back on to live. It’s bloody annoying and I can’t work out what is causing it.
There doesn’t appear to be a setting on the Xbox that would cause it and I know folks (living just half a mile away, using the same exchange) that don’t have the issue who are also plusnet users.
So I can’t see that either my Xbox or plusnet are causing the problem, there’s nothing I can see in the router (Netgear DG834N) that would interrupt the connection at midnight either, any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10
artificer
Grafter

Re: Xbox – Midnight cut-off blues, can you help?

i surmise it's summat to do with plus.net.  midnight is when unlimited kicks in and it's often the case that there are lags and drops as the switching systems take over.  this nonsense started happening after plus.net sold themselves to bt.  before that i had a hitch free service. 
God
Grafter

If that is the case why do you think my son's connection (less that half a mile away) doesn't have the same problem?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

It's NOT the case, my xbox does not do this at midnight.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
scrash
Dabbler

Hi,

Have you got anything electrical near the router that might switch on/off or even switch to a low-power state around about midnight? or is your router near your thermostat? I have recently helped a client to stop her midnight cut-offs (she was on talktalk :-/), the poblem turned out to be her thermostat (old type with manual switch time controls). Her Master socket and router were directly beneath it, so, a quick change of position for her router and, hey presto, no more problems Cheesy
Even sky checking for updates can cause the connection to cut out (I know this from personal experience). If you have sky plugged into your phoneline, i would be tempted to remove the extension from the skybox for the night to see if that helps.

Hope this helps,

kris
God
Grafter

It isn't sky (i don't have it) and the router isn't near anything that changes state at midnight. I think it must either be the xbox or related to the router. I am considering changing the time zone setting on the router so that 'midnight' occurs at something like  4am and seeing if the problem goes away, hmmm having considered it I am going to do it!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

What router are you using?
See here for all sort's of help  http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
scrash
Dabbler

Quote from: Steve
What router are you using?
See here for all sort's of help  http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/

are you using wireless or ethernet with your router?
cheers
God
Grafter

It IS the router and I have a workaround!
I just set the time zone to give me ‘midnight’ at 2pm and bingo I was disconnected. So I just need to set my time zone to give me midnight at some ungodly hour in the morning, 4 am should do it!
It would still be nice to know what is happening but basically it is fixed and hopefully anyone else with a DG834N router doing the same will find this thread by googling.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Vip3r
Grafter

Hi,
I have a DG834N v1 (with DGteam firmware)
and I regularley play PC games online over midnight, and have not experienced any problems.
Have you got any other settings in the router that might be causing the problem?
for example, there is an option to turn to turn the wireless on and off on a schedule.
scrash
Dabbler

Hi,
   It is a known problem with the DG834N. It is the wlan uptime timer resets itself to 0 every 24hrs at midnight. As far as I am aware, there has been no fix issued by Netgear, so customers are advised (as you have done) to change timezones so that midnight falls at a time that is convinent for yourself (4am?)

cheers,

kris