cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Live connection speed is crippled when using phone.

kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Xbox Live connection speed is crippled when using phone.

Hello, I hope you're all well.
Firstly apologies if this has already been addressed but I did have a quick search and nosey through the current threads.
I've basically got a problem with our home network. I've got the Xbox One connected to the router directly through Ethernet, alongside the Sky box. Also connected to the router (wirelessly) are both mine and my girlfriends phones. When I play online (say Titanfall for example) everything is fine and my connection is always high up until one of use connects to the internet on our phones. If we were streaming videos online I'd expect a connection speed drop but even if we're just on Chrome or Safari browsing the web the speed is completely crippled.
I was wondering if there was anyway to either prioritise the Xbox or at least have an equal share. At present it feels as though the phones take priority of the speed.
This only really became an issue once I upgraded to the unlimited package although I can't see what has changed other than we no longer have download caps. If anything out download speed has increased but it's just this issue with multiple users connected at the same time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
   Kieran McClung
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Xbox Live connection speed is crippled when using phone.

Hi Kieran,
Apologies for the delay in a response here.
Just to clarify, the connection starts to deteriorate when you connect your mobile phones to the Wireless? Is that right?
Are you using the Technicolor that we provide?
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Hi Chris, that's okay.
Yes that's correct, it only happens once our phones access the net via wifi. It is the Technicolor router too, I can't  remeber the model no. (currently at work so can't check unfortunately)
Thank you.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kieranmcclung,
This sounds a little odd, I practically have the same set up but with more wireless devices connected and haven't seen this effect while browsing on the phone. I'll have a chat to our hardware team and see if we can push our a firmware upgrade to your router remotely today (I'll confirm once complete) and then could you test this again for us?

UPDATE
I've just had word that the remote firmware has completed successfully if you can retest this and let us know how you get on.
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Hello,
Thanks for doing that for me, and for the prompt response. I'll give it a thorough test tonight with Destiny and hope all works well.
Thanks again.
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Hello, apologies for the late reply.
I've been playing online for the last week or so and haven't had any connection issues as of yet so I'm marking this as a success.
Thanks again.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great to hear and glad you're back gaming without issue!
Let us know if you see anything more  Wink
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

Hello, me again.
I've been experiencing a lot of issues again recently. Since the release of Destiny this has become an issue again. Initially I thought it to be related to the Destiny issues everyone has been having however I've just got back into playing Titanfall and it's all happening again. If my partner uses her phone or laptop the connection to any matches are lost or at best it causes latency issues. I've heard that some people recommend switching to a different router / modem and I'm fine with this but I don't want to shell out £s and for it to not really make a difference. Not sure if there is anything else that can be done?
As I said initially everything runs silky smooth up until another device starts accessing the net. Not even with looking at Youtube, just general browsing.
Any help would be greatly received.
Thank you.
ghos7em1
Grafter

your not going to like it but buy a different router i had same problems when someone was using wifi the router is poor.no firmware update will solve it
kieranmcclung
Dabbler

I've got no problem buying one if it does fix the issue. It's just annoying if I spend on one and the problem still persists. Can you recommend any routers at all?