Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Live Problems

russlawson
Dabbler

Xbox Live Problems

Good evening all,
I have recently purchased Xbox Live to take advantage of the online features. I have connected the xbox to my router (wired) and ran the Xbox live Connection test which was successful. Xbox live connects fine on the dashboard, sending messages / downloading demos etc however when I attempt to play certain games on line it disconnects within 5 seconds (this occurs on both Fifa 09 and Gears of War).
My router works fine on my laptop and two desktops and on the Nindendo Wii however it is not operating correctly on the xbox. After contacting Xbox Support they have suggested it is an issue with my ISP.
When playing online, I have ensured that the Xbox is the only connected device on the network. The router (Netgear DG834 version 1) has the latest firmware. I have also enabled port forwarding and turn on UPNP but to little success. In the last few days I have turn off interleaving and turned off the firewall which has made no difference.
Are there any further suggestions or changes that I can make?
Hope you can help,
Thanks in advance,
Russ Lawson
21 REPLIES 21
scootie
Grafter

Re: Xbox Live Problems

fifa's all ways been a trouble sum game as ea think there servers are better than the microsoft ones. have you tried placing your xboxs STATIC IP in dmz option of the router. should be on lan tab of your routers settings. i say static ip as u dont want your pc to issued the same dmz ip as dmz opens all ports to the ip address
i run a dg834g v4 and have no issues with XBL
russlawson
Dabbler

I have made the Xbox static and placed it in the DMZ but still no success.  Undecided
Thanks for the suggestion!
scootie
Grafter

have you tried with just upnp or man port forwarding as running both at same time can sometimes give issues.
whats your mtu set at on the router?
scootie
Grafter

am off for some battlefield 1943. feel free added to add me. gamertag= scootie uk
russlawson
Dabbler

I have tried UPNP and manual port forwarding seperate still no luck. Seems very bizzare.
Fifa usually lasts 10-15 seconds and Gears of War simply says a disconnect message.
MTU = 1458
It's a very odd problem!
Have fun on Battlefield!
SparckZero
Grafter

russlawson,
When you get booted out of games, is it only the game that disconnects, or do you get booted off of Xbox Live altogether? Are you connecting via a Wired or a Wireless connection?
russlawson
Dabbler

it seems like it is disconeecting because it cant connect to the other player. i have tried this against numerous people with the same result. at first i thought it was a badwidth or packet shaping issue so i tried it again at 2am however the same happened.
it is wired straight into the router with the latest firmare.
thanks for the reply! Smiley
scootie
Grafter

when you test the xbox live connection. does it come back fine or does it say your on a strict or mod nat at all
any chance of borrowing a newer version router to see if you get the same results?
russlawson
Dabbler

I have done the xbox live connection and it passed (all green) with no warnings about NAT.
I turned off NAT out of interest and it did raise an error so I turned it back on.
I am struggling to get hold of an ADSL router at all. Most people I know seem to be on cable. Sad
SparckZero
Grafter

Russlawson,
I would agree with Asbodog - it sounds like more of a router problem, rather than a problem at Plusnet's end.
Out of interest, which Plusnet package are you on? Do you have the Broadband Firewall enabled in the Member Centre control panel?
Edit: Just had a thought - what are your Firewall settings on the Netgear router? You might want to try temporarily enabling the "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection" option on the "WAN Setup" screen, if you have it?
scootie
Grafter

Edit: Just had a thought - what are your Firewall settings on the Netgear router? You might want to try temporarily enabling the "Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection" option on the "WAN Setup" screen, if you have it?

good idea
my v4 randomly picked up port 3074 as a dos attack. i remember that i downgraded back a firmware version to be able to keep dos an port protection on
is there anything in the logs of the router saying 3074 port DOS
russlawson
Dabbler

I'm on 'PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 3 (Monthly Contract) '
I disabled the firewall in the members section a few days ago but that didnt make any difference Sad 
Ahh! I will turn off the DOS protection and see if that makes a difference. I will test this later gents and get back to you.
Thanks for the ideas!
SparckZero
Grafter

No problem russlawson. I had a similar problem on a different ISP with my Netgear router about a year ago (games would cut out after 5-10 mins rather than straight away) - disabling the DOS protection fixed it. I've had it disabled since, so it didn't jump to my mind straight away Smiley
Let me know how you get on!
russlawson
Dabbler

I ticked the box to disable DOS protection, unfortunately this has not made any difference which is odd. Out of interest did you use UPNP or port forwarding? I have read there are a number of issues on the Netgear DG834 v1. I thought the latest firmware might have fixed this.