cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox 360 Live

Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Xbox 360 Live

I'm trying to make my Live connection as stable as possible, but does anyone have any advice or tips on how to do so?
10 REPLIES 10
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Re: Xbox 360 Live

You might want to fiddle with your router to do some port forwarding/firewall rules altering.
See here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874
Basically, give your 360 a fixed IP address in the network settings (of the 360 dashboard) instead of it being on auto (the IP address that your router automatically provides the 360 should be a fine one to stick to). This way it doesn't fluctuate if your router automatically assigns it a different one at another time.
Then set up the router configuration so these ports are forwarded/allowed through the firewall of your router:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
This process can vary depending on the router and it might be called something else. For instance my Netgear router required me to set them up as 'services' and then apply them to the 'firewall rules'. You need to make sure these "rules" are allowed/set to the IP Address you've fixed for the 360.
If you're unsure, a google of "port forwarding" and your router type should help you find instructions.
I hope it helps.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Cheers Bertie. I'd already followed those steps.
The problem is that the ports clash with the ones needed for Games for Windows to be open.
Tyreal74
Grafter

you can have multiple rules on 1 ip, i have my xbox ip and my pc gaming rig ip, essentialy you can map multiple ports to multiple ips
for example port 4900 [random port] is assigned to 192.168.2.2 for some random online game on the pc
then port 4900 is assigned to 192.168.2.6 for some random xbox live game
as long as the port is open any ip can use that port.
you might have some throttling if you use both ports at the same time though depends on the router i think
jaythe0ne
Grafter

I'm having the same problem, I have forwarded :
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
All to the IP address i have assigned to my Xbox 360 and i still get a moderate NAT. Any suggestions on how to get an Open NAT would be greatly appreciated
Scrub that, just found this, explains where i was going wrong
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager2110/Xbox_Live_360.htm
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

I had a similar problem, but I used the wrong IP address for my XBox 360.  Roll_eyes
James
Grafter

Have to admit, I've never had any stability issues with my XBox Live connection, but will be interested to hear if the suggestions in here work out.
pdavidson
Grafter

Quote from: James
Have to admit, I've never had any stability issues with my XBox Live connection, but will be interested to hear if the suggestions in here work out.

I definitely recommend following the port forwarding advice (if you haven't already). Even if you haven't had a problem so far there are a few games that this causes hiccups on. I've spent over an hour trying to get two people into the same room and able to hear each other on Rainbow 6 Vegas. Had to get both of them to forward the ports before they'd stop clashing  Roll_eyes
I think it's happened a fair bit on Gears of War and PGR3 as well. Seems to just be a few games but when it happens it's incredibly annoying so it's a good idea to do it up-front. If only so that you know it's definitely not you that's causing the issues when it crops up Cheesy
steveorob

Totally away from the discussion but i'm wonderig if anyway can help me.
I've signed up to PLUSNET and will be sorting out my xbox live connection asap - I only have the capacity on my phone line for 512kbps download speed. I'm worried this is going to cause me problems playing games such as PGR3, Ghost Recon, FIFA 07 and Pro Evo Soccer 6.
Will it be a problem or has anyone else used xbox live with the same download speeds???
Steve
James
Grafter

I reckon you should be fine.  XBox live traffic really isn't that massive.
bimsta88
Dabbler

Never had a problem with my 360 on live. Love it.
Pes6 and Gears of War are my fave atm.