cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox 360 Black wifi adapter & 585v8 issues?

jonessn

Xbox 360 Black wifi adapter & 585v8 issues?

Recently come back to plusnet as a customer and things are going ok ish so far. But have one strange problema dn not sure whether it's the router or the xbox WiFi adapter.
We have the Thompson/Plusnet 585v8 router with 8.2.7.8 firmware.
2 older style 360's which have been using the white/cream G rated WiFi adapter fine.
The other day I thought I'd upgrade and get the black WiFi adapter which is n rated, seeing as the router is n spec.
The xbox(s) will connect to the WiFi fine but will not get out to internet/xbox live when on "n"
If I set touter to g or b/g it works fine.
I know that the "n" works fine as I have tried a 360 S on there and thats cool, it connects to wifi and net/live on "n"
So is it the black wifi adapter that is faulty or is it that the router has compatibility issues?
Before you ask have deleted and recreated wifi details in all xboxes/reset etc etc...
11 REPLIES 11
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Xbox 360 Black wifi adapter & 585v8 issues?

Welcome to the forum, I may be wrong here but as far as Im aware them rubbish routers plusnet supply are not N but only b/g. If I was you Id either leave It on b/g which the Thompson Is or buy yourself a Wireless N router.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jonessn

v8 ones are N spec.. as far as I can tell.
IEEE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 access point
If it wasn' t then the option wouldn't be in the router setup or the WiFi devices would attach on n would they?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just done a bit homework and can see that It has wireless N as you said, You also said that you had It working with an x box 360 slim but you cant get It to work with your black Adaptor, Does your black adaptor have 2 aerials on It? Can you test It on another x box 360? ( Perhaps a mates) And If It works Its definitely not your adaptor that's Knackered.
jonessn

Yes its the 2 aerial jobby (N rated)
Already tried it on 2 different "older" 360s (Currently have 3 xBoxen in the house as I bought a new shiney S with chrimbo money, so one of the old ones will be on ebay soon)
Same result.
Only thing I haven't tried is use the black WiFI adapter on a different N rated router -- which I ain't got to hand.
I did ONCE manage to get it to connect to LIVE on "n" but that was done by hot swapping the adapters on one of the xboxes. Not a reliable method and my kids can't be expected to do that.
I'm 50/50 whether its the adapter or the router....  will ahve to find some one with a N rated router nearby to test.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well If you can test the adaptor On a different wireless router let me know how you get on, I currently use a Netgear DGN1000 without any problems and I use the black wireless N adaptor on my old x box 360 with no problems at all, You can pick these up cheap as well now see here...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-N150-DGN1000-Wireless-ADSL-Router-NEW-/320639445686?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item4aa799aab6
Good luck!!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

One other thing ( You prob already have this covered but worth a shot ) Is your x box 360 up-to-date with the latest dashboard? Also when you buy these N adaptors ( New ) It comes with a CD to pop Into the 360 first, Have you tried that?
jonessn

Ahhh  no, got it 2nd hand. so no CD
Dashboards all up to date, sooo would it need a CD?
Whats on the CD?  Crazy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just a firmware update so your 360 can do wireless N I think but If your all up to date then might have to go back to the drawing board, See If you can get your hands on one cheap cheap may be an option to try aswell?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

This current thread might also be your troubles?  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91200.0.html
jonessn

Yeah read that one the other day, not sure if same thing as this is just the N part of the WiFi not WiFI drop outs etc of DHCP issues. ( although the posts by xRainex had something similar as thats the only post that mentions no connection to LIVE, but connected to WiFi)
All the "g" rated stuff works fine, and the black MS 360 adapter works fin on G too.. just not N.
Although might drop it down to WEP and see what happens, if that works then it's sure to be the router.
...unless there is somethign I'm missing.  Huh

mikeyriot
Grafter

not sure if this will help but wen i put the supplied disc in my xbox, the xbox didnt know what to do with it so i plugged the adapter in any way and it all worked fine( however I'm currntly running in g as my router is ooooooold, 585v6 with origional FW) so like steve said its probably upto date from the dash update and probably the adapter at fault as your slim works fine in N.
But then again im no network guru