cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX - any ideas on how to verify games DVDs ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

XBOX - any ideas on how to verify games DVDs ?

For years I have bought second hand Playstation-2 games from eBay, and have used CDCheck to verify that the DVD is full readable and unscratched.
Having acquired an XBOX-360, I discover that in typical Microsoft paranoia, that the disc format is non-standard, and my usual DVD checking software reads a few megabytes (probably the directory information) and then completes without error - but obviously not having done a surface scan on the majority of the disc !.
I also tried (on Ubuntu) 'dvdisaster', which gets further than CDCheck, but still seems to complete much too quickly.
Is anyone aware of any software that can do a thorough surface scan of an XBOX DVD ?.
I am not bothered which platform the software is for, so Ubuntu / Windows / XBox, etc.
3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: XBOX - any ideas on how to verify games DVDs ?

Simplest way is to use the xbox to copy the dvd to the hdd, if that completes ok then it is fine if not clean and try again if it still fails then it is bad.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I can't use that method as this particular XBOX is not fitted with an HDD !  Sad
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

In that case ... you would have to use one of the tutorials on ripping the dvd then use abgx360 to verify it - not the easiest way.
Ebay has several "old" xbox drives cheap 20G esp.