cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX One woes.......

Averagejoe
Grafter

XBOX One woes.......

Apologies if this strays into a long post.
We have run an xbox 360 and PS3 off a TP Link TD3961ND router for years without any trouble at all.  We now have X1 and Ps4, Ps4 runs fine no issues at all.
X1 has XBOX LIVE dropping in and out sometimes, stable for a few days and will then drop off for 30 secs and come back on, or stay off for hours.  In this time the 360 will still join XBOX LIVE, watching netflix etc., PS4 fine, all phones tablets etc, fine.
I looked at the detail stats on X1 and it showed a DL speed in the kb's and 174ms latency, ran a speed test on tablet, DL 12mb/s, .9 upload, 50 ping, all done within the same minute.  I am on ADSL.
I have contacted Plusnet who reported nothing untoward on my account set up.
As I'm not too brilliant on these issues I have only set the DNS on the X1 to googles public server as this helpeds with a separate ipad issue, probably clutching at straws?.
When the X1 is working and on line it shows an OPEN NAT type which I believe is good.
So, is there anything else easy I can try if symptoms persist, MAC number in router etc. or could it be that the X1 just struggles with the router, every other bit if tech in the house is running well.
Or recommendations on tried and tested plug and play routers would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Mathias
Grafter

Re: XBOX One woes.......

Probably the first and most important question is are you connected via wireless or wired.
If wireless is the XB1 in the same location (ie distance from router) as the other consoles? Maybe try changing wireless channels on the router to improve signal strength.
Else if you can (even just for testing) try connecting via wired on the XB1.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Sorry should have said, wireless connection with router in the same room as XB1 and nearer than PS4.
We got the dropping in and out during Xmas with a wired connection but that could have been the hacking issues at the time?
If I'm around and XB LIVE drops out I'll try using a wired connection, just to eliminate if nothing else.
As i get OPEN NAT when it does work would port forwarding and DMZ be no use in this situation?
Thanks
Mathias
Grafter

port forwarding may help, but i think an open NAT means it is able to connect to XBL services ok.
Yeah the hacking may have played a part in losing the connection. Has the dop outs in XBL occurred more recently?
Averagejoe
Grafter

Had a couple of hours drop out around tea time last Friday, I put it on to test about 2130 that night and it was fine, a 30sec dropout Sat or Sun, and not been on yesterday.
XBL status at these times was limited for XB360 users, but son had friends very local on line on XB1.
Thanks
Mathias
Grafter

I'm afraid all i can suggest is stay on wired connection as much as possible (to rule out wifi issues). Then port forwarding certainly won't hinder anything, so i you are able to i encourage you to do that. Follow guides on portforward.com for XB1 services and your router.
Then keep an eye on XBL status page. If you have drop outs when all is reportedly working ok, then be concerned.
When the drop from XBL occurs, i presume the actual broadband connection does not drop as well?
Another thought is if you are saturating your upload if there are multiple other users on the connection at the same time. May want to verify with Plusnet that they have uncapped you ADSL upload. Seeing an upload of 0.9mbps as you quoted, suggests that this has been done, considering the max that can be achieved on ADSL is ~1mbps.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Yes if XBL drops on XB1 everything else can be ok, even XB360, wondering if XB1 just doesn't get on with current router.
Wired isn't really an option at the moment.
Thanks for the effort.
Mathias
Grafter

Try port forwarding anyway
Averagejoe
Grafter

I would, BUT, getting 169.*** IP address when trying to connect to router, posted question in other forums.
rickywild

Hi, 
I was told the other day by a friend that there is a fault in the xb1's instant on feature which causes the xbox to become "unrecognised" to the router. Fixed my NAT type issues.
Settings>Power & Startup>Power Options>Power Mode ... Select Energy Saving Mode. Worked for me.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the biggest problem I have with mine is its latency to the xbl servers, and certain games I have to trick the system into letting me use feature by jumping to the home screen and logging in a guest account then going back to the game to find stuff now "works"
my system reports its got download speeds of around 50meg uploads of around 16meg and latency of 170+  its plugged directly into the router same as my pc, the pc I can get btw speed test results of 60/16 and latency of under 50 .. which tells me the servers are the problem more than anything else
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you