Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX ONE - Worth Getting a new Router?

God
Grafter

XBOX ONE - Worth Getting a new Router?

Hi Folks
Looking at the WiFi spec for XBone It appears to be dual band 2.4ghz & 5ghz. My current router is a Netgear DG834n (some years old now!). Do you think I would see much of an advantage in speed and coverage by replacing my router with a newer dual band model?
Any advice appreciated other than... You should bet a PC or PS4 yada yada...
Cheers
Peter
10 REPLIES 10
RichAllen
Grafter

Re: XBOX ONE - Worth Getting a new Router?

I have the standard Plusnet router and Xbox Live is fast and works fine.
As for Xbox One, it all depends on your allegiance and preference, if you are a Microsoft fan, get Xbox One, if you are under 12 and like Pokemon, get a Nintendo Wii U, or if you are one of these people who would buy used bog roll if Sony packaged and sold it to you, buy PS4! It's all about the games though really, at the moment there are several Xbone games I want, such as Kinect Sports Rivals, Killer Instinct, Fighter Within, Ryse, and eventually, Project Spark, whereas from the announced list of PS4 games, there's nothing I want, even if PS4 is £80 cheaper for the hardware itself.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The 'N' 5GHz performance drops off a lot more quickly than the 2.4GHz, so if you're more than a room or so away from the router you may not see any benefit.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are otherwise happy with the Netgear DG834, then I would carry on using it - as they are still some of the best ADSL modems.
If you wanted to improve your home network speed and range, then consider using powerline adaptors to connect you XBone to your router.
Another router related consideration is that Xbox one uses IPv6.
Until Plusnet eventually get around to rolling-out native IPv6, I don't know how well the DG834N will forward Teredo traffic (tunneled IPv6 over IPv4), although I would presume that the XBone would fallback to ordinary IPv4 - and just work the same as Xbox 360 does now.
Blim
Grafter

I agree with keeping your current router but to answer your question, yes a 5ghz and dualband wireless will be faster.
http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=340
God
Grafter

Thanks for your responses folks. It does rather look like keeping the current router and a pair of these (£32) http://amzn.to/19rAucm would be a cheaper option and guarantee the xbone similar to wired speed. I guess the other thing that newer routers have over my current one is being able to prioritise certain traffic. But router/modems appear to be a bit of a minefield with varying performance within similar models in the same brand. Perhaps I'll settle for the powerline adapters and wait until other folks have determined which models work best!
All4One
Grafter

Yeah, powerline adapters much better than wireless for gaming.
There's a few people I play games with on wireless and every night they d/c or lag with high ping. Surely if it occurs that often you'd think about getting ethernet or adapters.
God
Grafter

I ended up settling for a pair of these http://amzn.to/1iIcz9C rather than the ones mentioned earlier.
Hopefully they will be fine, if they are then I would say a bit of a bargain as they are 500 instead of 200, have three ports each and a plug pass through.
meanalf

Quote from: RichAllen
I have the standard Plusnet router and Xbox Live is fast and works fine.
As for Xbox One, it all depends on your allegiance and preference, if you are a Microsoft fan, get Xbox One, if you are under 12 and like Pokemon, get a Nintendo Wii U, or if you are one of these people who would buy used bog roll if Sony packaged and sold it to you, buy PS4! It's all about the games though really, at the moment there are several Xbone games I want, such as Kinect Sports Rivals, Killer Instinct, Fighter Within, Ryse, and eventually, Project Spark, whereas from the announced list of PS4 games, there's nothing I want, even if PS4 is £80 cheaper for the hardware itself.

I think he was asking about routers not some fanboy drivel.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Worth getting a PC  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: meanalf
]

I think he was asking about routers not some fanboy drivel.

I mentioned the router! Any other problems with my post?