cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX Live

tmyles
Grafter

XBOX Live

Hi all, anyone else experiencing problems at the moment with live? Dont think its a plus specific thing as xbox.com is having probs too - anyone else seeing this?
cheers
20 REPLIES 20
Grff
Grafter

Re: XBOX Live

On the whole, XBL is typically very reliable.  It's only usually after a firmware update, or a large influx of new members that cause problems. Typically these are usually fixed relatively quickly.
The recent otage is being blamed on the vast number of people signing up due to christmas.
clockley
Grafter

See http://www.gamestm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8485
The system has been down over christmas, sporadically.
I understand that an XBLA game will be offered as an apology.
Hope this helps
Carl
tmyles
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies - I've been following the live updates over xmas on majornelson.com and was under the impression that it was all fixed.
Why oh why did Microsoft not foresee that there would be a large in-flux of signups and get more gear/bandwidth in to cope with the higher demand?? Probably still stinging from the 3 years warranty extension for faulty hardware..
Xbox live is still v. patchy at the moment, very very unstable. Ended up having a good game of CounterStrike Gungame mod on my pc instead 🙂
clockley
Grafter

I haven't had too many problems with Live, except Pro Evo 08 being a little laggy.  Gimme a PM if you wanna try a head to head on PES 08 to test this lol.
Carl
Grff
Grafter

I think it depends on what game, and what time of day you try it.
COD4 has been a nightmare, especially once the US guys all get online.
Things like Halo and Forza haven't been too bad.  Maybe it's a particular server problem.
jlpappin
Grafter

Microsoft are going to give everyone a free arcade game to apologise for the downtime.
I read a few people in Texas are going to sue Microsoft for $5million. Can't imagine that will work but if it does I am in there too lol Smiley
Grff
Grafter

In their terms and conditions there are quite a few statements about no guaranteed service levels, and online experience may vary etc etc.
Personally the cost of the time missed will be around the 1-10$ mark so no doubt nothing will come of it.
No doubt the arcade game will be one of their choice, and not something most people will use.  Personally i'd prefer a month added onto my Gold subscription, but that aint gonna happen either.
Not applicable

Kind of embarrassing - most MS internal systems seem to be woefully inadequate - if they can't get things right, what hope do the rest of us have?*
Wonder how they failed to figure out that there might be increased demand over the Christmas period?
*Of course, the answer is that they have to use inferior M$ products, whilst we can use 'proper' software. Wink
pdavidson
Grafter

To be fair to Microsoft, this is the first time I've had any issues in about 3 years of using Live. Doesn't make it any less miserable right now though Sad
sophos9
Grafter

Worse when you have to pay for misery  Wink
clockley
Grafter

@Paula
It doesn't really reflect well on the millions of people worldwide that purchased a 360 for Christmas (myself included), only to get this when trying to test out their shiny new plaything.
Not applicable

See, in the old days it was easy - the worst that would happen was that your toys needed batteries, and you'd forgotten to get some.
These days we need soooo much more - and it just doesn't seem reliable enough.
I wonder if MS decided that Xmas would be painful as world+dog tried to use Xbox live, knowing full well that investing in the capacity to cope would be unneccesary as people would have a tendency to use Xbox live less and less as time went on?
Although I suspect that the converse would be true for the gamers here. Wink
jabns2
Grafter

It effect any game that uses trueskill or the MS matchmaking servers.
Over christmas it was down constantly because no one* was at work. Now it happens at 10pm GMT until about 2AM GMT which is when the americans finish work (coincidense - NO).
As usual MS don't say anything.
I also notied there are lots of users getting 48hour bans for things like putting hell(which is a place in america) s your location. Theres one way to free up some room LOL.
I love the way they still have debug mode on the some parts of Xbox.com and so you see the "Application Error" and then the asp.net code.
You get people saying that you would only get £1 for the time missed but times that by 10,000,000 and you get how much MS would loose. They need to know there will be a cost for downtime otherwise whats to stop it happening again!
James
pdavidson
Grafter

Maybe it's a cunning plan by Nintendo, choke the supply of Wiis so that everyone gets a 360 and kills XBox Live therefore increasing the demand for the Wii in the new Year and ruining the 360's reputation permanently!
*cough*
Not exactly a clever conspiricy theory that is it? Oh well.