cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX 360 live bandwidth requirements

mapletree
Grafter

XBOX 360 live bandwidth requirements

What is the normal bandwidth usage of Xbox Live?  My son has recently got Xbox Live and I notice that gaming accounts for over 25% of my bandwidth (BBYW2).  This seems rather a lot to me.
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: XBOX 360 live bandwidth requirements

It's worth bearing in mind that it could also be game downloads and patches, which wouldn't put it outside of the ordinary.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I play on xbox live a fair bit and my usage hardly goes through anything,ive yet to use 2gb in a month playing with mates on xbox live,perhaps he is downloading a lot of stuff as explained Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
scootie
Grafter

are the market place downloads classed as gaming since there classed 0x60 download servers on wireshark so i cant see the vmbu putting them down as gaming
in 10 days ive used 1.28gb to be honest first time ive checked this month and thought it would be lower as ive only done bout 1 hours gaming a night this month
mapletree
Grafter

He hasn't downloaded any games but has downloaded some patches.  They did not take very long to download so I don't think they were very big.  Up to last week I was on an IP profile of 1750 too.  Now I am on 2500K.  I do notice that my internet browsing slows to a crawl when he is using xbox live so it does appear to be a bandwidth hog.  He plays Halo3 and COD.
@ASBO dog: what product are you on btw?
scootie
Grafter

unlimited usage.
at a guess i would say hes being picked to be the host which can push the bandwidth up.
as for slowing your web surfing on a 2500kbps profile i cant say i see the same on my 2500kbps profile but am on the trail and have double the upload of standard adsl.
do i hear well why would upload slow my web page downloads?. well your computer needs to tell the source that it recived the last bit of data ok and if the xbox is swamping the upload (which is unlikely) this could be the cause of the slow down.
in my case its my sisters pc thats poor evil to my xbox and kill death ratio when she decides to use iplayer the moment i go near my xbox  Cry
mapletree
Grafter

Is there a way to stop being a host on the xbox?  On PC games you normally have to choose to host a game.
With a decent sized rwin I wouldn't expect uploading to slow web browsing too much.
I wouldn't even try iplayer and anything else at the same time  Wink
scootie
Grafter

not really on xbox its how the games are designed and unforently your with PN so get picked alot to be the host for the good conection you have  Smiley . some games you have a chocie by the way there designed like RACE PRO i play your only host if you create the room