cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX 360 and Thomson TG585 on plusnet

Bashed

XBOX 360 and Thomson TG585 on plusnet

Hello fellow XBOX users, I wonder if you can help here. I sent this to plusnet  -
- Hi, I didn't want to go this far, I've tried the forums and google, the only thing I can find is that other people have the same problem but I can't find a solution.
Connecting XBOX 360 to Windows 7 PC via TG585 v7 [8.2.6.5 no idea if this is latest firmware or how to update it, sparse info on plusnet site] - the help page - http://tinyurl.com/2hw6gh - does not help at all as it is not up to date and does not show or relate to the TG585 v7. I've tried both wireless and wired connections.
The XBOX connects to the internet, I've downloaded updates and joined XBOX live. I'm trying to use the XBOX as a media extender via WMC on my PC. This is supposed to be a simple quick setup. I follow the instructions to the letter but basically WMC then tells me that my router is blocking access and I get no further. UPnP is active on the router and I have tried turning extended security off, I've also turned the router firewall and windows firewall off and disabled anti virus software, I've assigned all possible games and applications through the router to the XBOX, none of this works.
So, do I need to update the router firmware, if so how or do I need to change the router to one that works, if so, can you recommend one that will work with plusnet ADSL2 and preferably wireless N?

I got a nice but unhelpful reply. -
I am afraid this is not something we can advise too much on as we cannot support it.
Though, I am in the same circumstance at home, same package and same router using xBox live and I have no issues, it may be something to do with forwarding your ports to accept the router.
If you need help with this try asking on our forums about Port Forwarding, I'm sorry we cannot be of much more help, but I do wish you the best of luck, don't know where I'd be without my xbox! Cheesy

I thought it would/should be a straightforward process but clearly it isn't, not in my case anyway. So, does anyone have anything helpful to add?
TIA, Neil Cheesy
22 REPLIES 22
Bashed

Re: XBOX 360 and Thomson TG585 on plusnet

UPDATE:
I connected to my laptop which also runs windows 7 and it worked first time. So I guess the problem rests with my desktop. I'll give it a few days to see if I get any replies here and then reinstall windows, it could do with it anyway.  Undecided
Tata!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I answered a similar thread the other week about this. I've always found the 585's to be a little troublesome as media extenders with my own setup. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I always put it down to a flaky wi-fi connection as my desktop and router are some distance away.
Quote from: Bashed
Connecting XBOX 360 to Windows 7 PC via TG585 v7 [8.2.6.5 no idea if this is latest firmware or how to update it, sparse info on plusnet site] - the help page - http://tinyurl.com/2hw6gh - does not help at all as it is not up to date and does not show or relate to the TG585 v7. I've tried both wireless and wired connections.

Firmware upgrade instructions and the latest firmware can be found here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bashed

Thanks for that, any tips on a good replacement? I'm thinking of going with the Netgear DGN3500, I could use the wireless-N range.
Cheers, Neil Cheesy
emzx23x
Grafter

http://portforward.com/
detailed guide on port forwarding select
router list then
router model
skip advertisments
select window media centre xbox
follow guide good luck
emzx23x
Grafter

oh white wireless adapter uses g
black double ariel is n compatible
and the slim built in is n compatible to
rosstyoung

Hi,
I'm a new Plusnet user and had exacly the same problem. I'm going to post my short but sweet answer to each of the 3 questions on this subject.
In short I joined Plusnet, had a problem with my X-Box, assumed it was Plusnet, phoned to cancel my contract to go to Sky, was offered a month free subscription but initially chose to cancel anyway.
I then had one last attempt and called my local computer repair company. He said it was not an unusual problem and spent 20 mins updating the settings on my Thompson router. It only cost £25 and now the X-box and 2 laptops (work and private) are working perfectly and have been for the last 2 months.
I called Plusnet and they honoured their 1 month free.
Hope this helps
maximmortal

Quote from: rosstyoung
He said it was not an unusual problem and spent 20 mins updating the settings on my Thompson router. It only cost £25 and now the X-box and 2 laptops (work and private) are working perfectly and have been for the last 2 months.

Would be useful to know what he did. Any chance of calling him up again and asking him? Tongue
I am having the same problem connecting my Xbox to my laptop. It's definitely something to do with the router.
gooner77
Grafter

I'm having the same problem. I've just had to move my XBOX into a different room and rely on the wireless connection instead of ethernet and it won't connect. I get the error message " the dns server can't resolve the names xbox/com and xbox live servers"  This issue seems to be affecting a few people on the forums and yet Plusnet doesn't seem to be doing much about it
I've been on hold with the tech support line for over 35 minutes as well  Angry
Not happy
UPDATE
Finally got through to someone after 50 mins and bascially fobbed me off saying it wasn't Plusnet's fault and that its down to Microsoft/XBOX !
Thats is complete and utter rubbish and changing to Virgin.net looks rather tempting right now  Angry
Gibbs49
Dabbler

It doesnt sound like Plus.nets fault if you were able to connect over a wired connection. Will take a look around and try and get back to you later this evening if I find anything, I dont have access to an xbox tho, but first impessions sound like some settings on the xbox could be tweaked to solve this.
gooner77
Grafter

I managed to fix it by changing my router to a different one so its definitely an issue with the Thomson Gateway. That to me definitely makes it Plusnets fault. Before I got the vs8  model it was working fine
I can use the PS3 and XBOX 360 on Live and have an open NAT for both (Type 2 on PSN)
emzx23x
Grafter

lots o people having same issues with this router, check braodband / router help joane pearson seems to be trying to sort it out  aka jojo
fsepulveda
Dabbler

Hi,
I had the same problem with the TG585v8 and the Xbox 360 n type wireless adapter (the black one with two antennas).  In my case what worked was to set the network protocol to b/g instead of the default b/g/n.
To do this:
Main router page (usually 192.68.1.254) > Home Network > WLAN > Configure,
or go directly here:
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/_wli_/cfg/?be=0&l0=4&l1=1&name=WLAN:%20PlusnetWireless7D4100
On that page, set the 'Interface Type'  to 802.11b/g  (802.11g should work as well).
That’s it.
After this, port forwarding was unnecessary.
Not an ideal solution, but the n protocol is not essential at the moment for me, so I’ll leave it at that.
I hope this helps, but you may need to reset the router before you do the above as other changes may interfere with this.
gooner77
Grafter

My Thomson Gateway v7 just packed in and I've had to use a new v8 router that Plusnet sent me. And guess what...I can't connect to XBOX Live again despite trying all the fixes/suggestions on the various threads.
I'm so annoyed that Plusnet are saying its not their fault when its plainly the router thats causing the issue
I can connect to PSN with a Type 2 NAT but it won't let the XBOX connect to Live. I pay £40 a year for XBOX Live Gold and if I can't use it then I'll go somewhere else .  Plusnet are just ignoring all the people who have issues with XBOX Live
I'm going to ring up for my PAC code tonight as I've had enough.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: gooner77
My Thomson Gateway v7 just packed in and I've had to use a new v8 router that Plusnet sent me. And guess what...I can't connect to XBOX Live again despite trying all the fixes/suggestions on the various threads.

Not sure I follow. Didn't you say up there ^^ that you'd swapped the Thomson out for a different router? Or did you just revert from using a v8 device to a v7? I'm surprised you asked us for another Thomson unit to be honest if you've had so many problems with them in the past?
I can connect to PSN with a Type 2 NAT but it won't let the XBOX connect to Live. I pay £40 a year for XBOX Live Gold and if I can't use it then I'll go somewhere else .  Plusnet are just ignoring all the people who have issues with XBOX Live

We're not ignoring you, trust me we'd quite like to get to the bottom of it. I'm presuming you've tried flashing to the latest version of the firmware?
I'm going to ring up for my PAC code tonight as I've had enough.

A PAC allows you to switch mobile telephony operators, it's a MAC you need to switch broadband providers. Regardless, it would be a shame to see you leave.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵