World of Warcraft

Kev
Grafter

World of Warcraft

Hi fellow gamers Smiley
Being cheeky here.
Anyone play on Doomhammer - Horde. Join our guild Smiley
www.legion-of-steel.co.uk

We have characters between all levels, well 20 - 70 so anyone welcome.
17 REPLIES 17
pdavidson
Grafter

Re: World of Warcraft

Blatent advertising. Shame on you!! Wink
Kev
Grafter

LOL. Looks like no-one plays on Doomhammer Smiley
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Pah.  Aszune FTW.
M.
zubel
Community Veteran

Pft, Dunemaul Alliance ftw!
http://www.thegarrison.eu

Barry
Jadeygogetters
Dabbler

Ptttt again!
Grim Batol ftw!
http://www.guildaid.com/phpBB/
Battle your pvp celebrity's! From Perklnut to Radagast! Tongue If you know your pvp celebrity's Tongue Or battle me! Damn best Grand Marshal on the server ( Im full of my self I know Tongue )
Rikaitch
Grafter

Someone I know, also on PN, has complained that he's using his 8Gb limit a month, and that's without downloading at all. All he does is play WoW. I know, I know, I keep saying to get a life, but, any advice to help him lower his consumption?
pdavidson
Grafter

I'm baffled as to how he's managing this really. I'm also worried about my limit now seeing as there are two WoW players in this house!
The only thing that springs to mind is whether or not he's using a lot of addons that download info and might store it locally. Auctioneer, Enchantrix, Mobinfo, Gatherer, and Cartographer spring to mind. I'm not entirely sure of the amount of info that these download (if any) but if you play a lot and scan the auction house often......
Also, if he's using UI central to update addons regularly he may be downloading more than he realises there. Still, 8Gb is a lot more than I'd expect any of the above to make a dent in  Undecided
Get him to review his addons anyway, it may be that he has a whole load of them that store info locally which would mean downloading data all the time he's playing.
Also, seeing as we're all advertising servers, Draenor has to be the connoisseur's choice  Wink
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Have there been any patchs recently? I tested WoW back in the day when we had some gaming problems and it spent hours the first night downloading patches.
I'd also suggest that your friend checks VMBU as that will give a break down of traffic type.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Rikaitch
Grafter

Quote from: dave
Have there been any patchs recently? I tested WoW back in the day when we had some gaming problems and it spent hours the first night downloading patches.
I'd also suggest that your friend checks VMBU as that will give a break down of traffic type.

VMBU?
gacox
Dabbler

View My Broadband Usage, in the 'connection settings' section of the member centre, the direct link is https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
Rikaitch
Grafter

*doh* of course... I think he has, and it's all http.
(edited 12:12)
Just looked at his usage, and here's the verdict from 12.25Gb in a month.
Web 65%
Email 0%
Broadband phonecalls 1%
Gaming 11%
Streaming 4%
PlusNet FTP 0%
Peer-to-peer 17%
Usenet 0%
FTP (non PlusNet) 0%
Other 2%
Total usage so far 100%
pdavidson
Grafter

1.3Gb on Gaming and 2Gb on P2P
The gaming sounds rather high but it depends how much he plays and could well be contributed to by those addons downloading lots of information.
P2P could include WoW patches but they don't amount to that much generally. They can go as high as 600mb but that's rare.
Did you ask him about Addons?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Rikaitch
Peer-to-peer 17%

Don't forget this includes uploads - so even if he isn't downloading but leaves it running it will be clocking up usage.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Paula
1.3Gb on Gaming and 2Gb on P2P
The gaming sounds rather high but it depends how much he plays and could well be contributed to by those addons downloading lots of information.

tbh, that's not so high.
In the last 7 days, I've used 1.38GB total, of which 37% is Gaming (only WoW.. are there any other games?? ;))
That's basically half a gig in a week.
Okay, so I do play Wow from around 6pm->12pm most evenings, and a fair amount at weekends.  I do also run around 240 addons - no datamining ones though, (apart from a daily run of Auctioneer, which I could see having some bandwidth ramifications)
I think it's best to "budget" around 100mb per day for WoW alone if his playstyle is similar to mine.
I would also recommend him grabbing patches from one of the mirrors at www.wowwiki.com/Patch_Mirrors instead of using the downloader.  This could be sucking bandwidth as the upload also counts towards his usage.
Barry