cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Of Warcraft Questions.

ibs007

World Of Warcraft Questions.

Hello guys,
Im new to the forum and I have a few questions.
I recently switched to the Plusnet Unlimited broadband package. I was wondering, does this service have the PRO addon by default? I have experienced some lag with WoW in the evenings sometimes of a 1000+ ms Latency.
What do you suggest I do to improve my gamplay and avoid lag/high latencies? Is it necessary for me to get the PRO addon to ensure smooth gaming? Or is the Unlimited Broadband package enough?
Also I saw the defined list of games in the Forums...what is a defined list? Is it a list of games that will run smoothly if I get the PRO addon?
Many thanks!!
ibs007
17 REPLIES 17
David_W
Rising Star

Re: World Of Warcraft Questions.

Unlimited is a legacy package and it's not possible to add Pro on to it, it's technically impossible apparently.  That doesn't make much of a difference with lots of games though, PlusNet cap the speed at 2Mb but gaming traffic is given priority on the network, with WoW being a well established game it will be registered on PN's side properly so you will be getting priority.  As for why you're getting 1k+ pings, no idea Smiley
ibs007

Thanks for your reply David.
So WoW will always get priority on my package? There is nothing extra that I have to do?
I guess the 1000+ ping was a one off? What kind of Ping should I expect with PN when playing WoW?
Could you clarify what you mean by legacy package? Do you mean like super old? Cause I got it today..:P
David_W
Rising Star

No idea when it comes to WoW, I don't play it.  Games should always get priority even without the Pro addon.
Unlimited is a product Plusnet do not offer as standard any more, you can only get it if Plusnet offer it to you (you can't sign up as a new member and get unlimited) or if you had it when it was available (I'm on Unlimited too).
ibs007

Thanks for that clarification David!
Yes I was offered it today as I was about to leave PN as the 60GB allowance didn't seem to be enough for us! I don't know where all the usage goes..:D
Thanks for helping me clarify my queries.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

How much usage do you think you need?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
James
Grafter

We have loads of people playing WoW (including two chaps sat opposite me).
Neither are having latency issues - is it Just WoW you are having problems on?
Depending on whether or not your line is interleaved, I'd expected 20-60ms depending on how busy the server is.
ibs007

Hello again,
I was just trying to play WoW right now and im getting 1300+ MS ?! Could you investigate? How do I fix this?
Sometimes its normal like 40 ms...but then it spikes to 200 which then spikes to 1000+. Ive just logged in again while typing this and now the MS has dropped to 41ms?
ibs007

What is Interleaving? How does it affect my game play and overall internet use?
Thank you...:D
adie:quote
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Interleaving.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

On a good line with few errors, interleaving adds latency so it's not desirable for gaming but if a line is subject to many errors (interference or line fault) then interleaving may be necessary to maintain stability which, at the cost of a modest latency increase, may be the best option even for gaming.  Interleaving will not help with major line faults but, in certain conditions, can significantly reduce retransmission of errored frames giving an overall improvement for gaming and all other online activities.
Bursts of latency could be caused by interference or congestion so they are difficult to diagnose and may be more difficult to resolve.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ibs007

Getting 610 ms right now!!!! Whats goin on?Huh
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Does wow now work like EQ2 for updates/patches/expansions and you get micro updates for new area's you enter into to not download a huge file in one go?  If so, Download 82% complete, you are downloading something for the game.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
James
Grafter

Yep - The game is still downloading which may/will have an impact on your ingame latency.
I'd suggest finishing the download via the launcher first and then seeing if you still encounter further problems.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Don't know if it helps or just confuses, but I had a similar problem with high lag/latency. I  tried many things, then someone suggested 'drainpiping'(?). I think that's what it is called. As I am no technophile, I read a lot of forum pages about this , on various forums, then had a go.  Surprisingly easy. My latency is now nearly always 30-45 m/s.Even playing while downloading the Mists of Pandoria beta, my latency stayed under 100. So I strongly suspect this does work....Touch wood!