Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wont connect at power on

Jovin123
Grafter

Wont connect at power on

Hi All

For around the last month my xbox360 wont connect to xbox live when first turned on. If i go to network settings and run 'Test live connection' all connect ok however it does say service alert. I have been constantly checking service status and there doesnt seem to be any problems. Once this test has been run if I press back and go back to the home screen then it connects.

I have tried in no particular order, putting the xbox into DMZ, port forwarding and uPNP all without success. Each of these have been tried separately and router and console were each restarted.

Set up was a BT HH5a with Openwrt and now got a HH6 with normal BT firmware and connection is fttc.

Whilst the console will connect it's a bit of hassle to have to test the connection first each time, any further ideas?

TIA

9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Wont connect at power on

Do you mean wont  or  won't ?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jovin123
Grafter

Do you mean wont  or  won't ?

Seriously? If you want to be that pedantic I suppose you could say either although using wont in the way you are suggesting would hardly make sense at the beginning like that would it!

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi @Jovin123.  Ignore the Grammar warrior Wink

Check out: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=153395   This old article appears to show someone havin the same issue with a 360 and OpenWRT.  I haven't given it a proper look, but there might be something in there?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Jovin123
Grafter

Thanks Kelly I'll give that a look. No longer using a OpenWRT router but now a HH6 with stock firmware but  still got the same prob. It's just an inconvenience having to run network test before it'll connect but I'd like to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Jovin123 Can you try connecting your 360 on to a different connection either through hot-spotting it to a mobile phone via mobile data, or taking it to somebody's house to try on their broadband? Just to try to narrow things down.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jovin123
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf Thanks foir the suggestion of using phone as hotpsot on mobile data, hadnt thought of that. Unfortunately same problem still occurs so I guess it's looking like something with the xbox. Altho it connects after doing the connection test it also always comes up with service alert. Been like this for several months now.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the post back @Jovin123 At least things are narrowed down a bit more now. Can you try plugging your 360 into the router using an ethernet cable rather than use Wi-Fi and retest? It may be an issue with the wireless adapter. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jovin123
Grafter

@Gandalf In effect just been doing the reverse of that as it's usually on ethernet anyway.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Jovin123 Ah this doesn't sound good for the Xbox then Undecided If it makes you feel any better, mine I had since 2006 died a few years ago, gone but not forgotten, at least your console works although with a bit of inconvenience. 

This may be a long shot as I'm not sure whether the 360 is supported anymore but you could try contacting Microsoft Xbox Support from here: https://beta.support.xbox.com/contact-us to see if they've got any ideas. 

Let me know how it goes though. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet