cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WoW lag at peak times

chippyrich

WoW lag at peak times

Hi,
As you may know, 1000s of WoW players have been affected by peak time lag as described in their tech forums, this one being typical
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=11030833584&pageNo=29&sid=1#571
This phenomenon started last Weds 23/9 and coincided with the release of their patch 3.2.2.
It seems to be rife amongst customers of AoL and Virgin media.
I am currently in the process of swapping my ISP from AoL to PlusNet having been assured by your salesteam that this problem is not widespread amongst your customers....for my peace of mind maybe one of your techs could confirm that you have no known problems at the moment...as I d hate to be out of the frying pan into the fire...
Cheers
21 REPLIES 21
scootie
Grafter

Re: WoW lag at peak times

Plusnet are open and honest about there traffic mangment   Smiley
If you do have issues with a specfic game you can use wireshark to see what prioity traffic is getting over PN's network and if the games traffic is not being picked up as titanium class(gaming and voip). 
You just need to attach the pcap file from your wireshark capture of the wrongley picked up traffic to a incorrect traffic mangment ticket and will take normaly a weekish for the new sig to be tested and put live .
how to http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml and to download http://www.wireshark.org/
So with PN your not left wondering if your isp is doing some slim shady traffic mangment of packets and leaving there customers in the dark.
The only thread lately on waw latency is this with a couple of users seeing high ping times but from lookin at one of the users they have high pings to hop 2 which is there connection or BTw's issue. if there was wide spread issue with waw latency on plusnet i would of expected alot more users to have made them selfs heard by now
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79407.0.html
chippyrich

I ran a wireshark test and it seems WoW s classified as 0x00 traffic ( on AoL) which is the lowest priority and probably explains why I get the peak time lag. Virgin have said they introduced a software patch to their Cisco routers( I think) on 22/9 which caused gaming packets to be wrongly classified, so it's maybe the same thing. Unfortunately it seems you can t upgrade your account with these companies to be subject to less shaping. I ve signed up to the gamers package here so even if WoW traffic is wrongly classified I m still on 'gold' with a low priority classification and should nt be subject to delays ( here s hoping)
Incidentaly 1000 s of gamers on AoL, Virgin and other ISP s have been affected by this problem which they say will take a month to fix, if theycan fix it at all, so maybe an opportunity for you to pick up some business.
James
Grafter

Worth noting that ASBO DOG doesn't work for us Smiley
Given the number of customers that we have using WoW, and the fact I've not seen a complaint in ages, I reckon you'll be okay!
scootie
Grafter

all out outgoing packets will be marked as 0x00 as they have not bein over the PN network yet. only check the incoming packets on wireshark.
o i see you used wireshark on the AOL network. this maybe due to AOL not using the traffic mangment gear that marks there packets in the way PN do hence why they all came back as 0x00 (left in the dark  Wink )
@ james. yep last time checked my bank account still no wages to buy my castle with  Grin
chippyrich

Got my connection to plusnet today. Did a wireshark test on your WoW traffic and ..its 0xa0. Managed to play tonight for the first time in 2 weeks ( at peak times) with lower latency than i ever had with AoL...so no lag and no disconnects.
So why is it that you can get it right and 2 of the biggest ISP s in the country VM and AoL classify WoW traffic as 0x00.
Anyhow i ve made several posts on the WoW forums singing your praises so i guess you re gonna get quite a lot of new acounts from disgruntled gamers with aol and vm.
Hehe ..  do they count as referrals for me  Grin
zubel
Community Veteran

James
Grafter

Hiya,
Glad to see that things have picked up for you Smiley
The referrals will only count if they give your username when they signup.
RevelationMD

Quote from: chippyrich
Anyhow i ve made several posts on the WoW forums singing your praises so i guess you re gonna get quite a lot of new acounts from disgruntled gamers with aol and vm.
Hehe ..  do they count as referrals for me  Grin

LOL - well, I'm one who saw what I now presume were your posts and have taken your unofficial referral. Just waiting on my MAC code from Orange to come over.
PS. I signed up to the unlimited account before I saw the 'pro' gamers account and I'm wondering now whether I should upgrade already (even before I have switched!). You say your latency in wow is better than it ever was with AOL - which account/deal are you on with plusnet, if you don't mind me asking?
zubel
Community Veteran

"identified" gaming traffic is always prioritised highly across Plusnet's network - even on the Unlimited package (and I can assure you that WoW traffic is identified!)
newer games can sometimes take a week or so to be identified, and can run in the bronze queue until then - however PN are very open about how to identify such traffic, and submit it to them to be included on the database.
Pro will always categorise *all* traffic highly, so this is beneficial if you play lots of bleeding-edge games
B.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Welcome to Plusnet Revelation.
As Barry says, with defined and established games such as WoW you shouldn't find any latency issues and if a new game / patch is released we can get it added to our traffic management system pretty quickly once we've got a capture of the game traffic.
Try out Unlimited and if it doesn't work for you let us know and we can move you to Pro.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chippyrich

I m on the pro gamers account. latency varies from 27 to around 100. 27 solo questing and up to 100 in a raid. in dala its 45 ms. I would nt imagine it would be any different on the unlimited account given that WoW traffic here is 0xa0 platinum classified. Across the board thats 100 lower than with Aol i would guess.
I ve now had 2 nights of lag free, DC free WoW
RevelationMD

Thanks Chris!
Chippy - what you describe there is a at least 200ms better than I have ever got on Orange! I have just had a good (in terms of lag) nights play tonight - ms ranged from 280-400.
Damn, I can't wait to move over Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

No problem, I'm quite an avid PC gamer myself so I know what problems lag can cause (I play FPS games quite a lot).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
goberpiles
Grafter

I am on unlimited and my WOW ping is 200-250 constant, never seen it any lower.