cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WoW Problems

s1luxford

WoW Problems

I am currently on the package PlusNet Broadband Your Way Pro and I use the connection to primarily to play WoW.
For a while now I have been getting latency of around 300ms which is starting to really cause me some problems as
with raiding one bit of lag with my being a healer can potentially kill the raid.
I am afraid when it comes to the internet and wireless I don't really have much of a clue and don't really know what to look into to try and find the source of my high latency.
Can anyone give me any advice on what may be causing my high latency and how to look into it and potentially solve my problem?
Thank you in advance for any help.
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: WoW Problems

First thing to try would be using a cable and seeing if you latency still happens, could be a wireless issue.
Have you had interleaving removed from your line?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
s1luxford

I have never requested to have interleaving turned off so I am guessing it is on by default. I will request to have it switched off to see
if this helps and try the internet connection with a cable tonight to see if this improves download speeds.
Thanks for the advice
KaotiK
Grafter

Its down to how rubbish PN have been the past month etc, i get it constantly on WoW to, i dont even think its being prioritised properly. I have to restart router few times to try and get on a better gateway to get a half decent ping. Its just so annoying. So its basically not a fault of your own or w/e as i think pretty much everyone on PN who plays wow or most other games are getting high pings.
s1luxford

Thanks for the info although I was kinda hoping it was a problem my end so I could actually fix it instead of being stuck with a rubbish service by PN  Embarrassed
Do you know if there is any easy way to see what gateway you are currently on?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As you are on pro then all your traffic should be in the prioritised queues anyway, so whether PN have the correct sigs or not is shouldn't matter.
You can tell what gateway you are on here
Also if you want to see if it is been prioritised correctly you can use wireshark
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
leeanthony
Grafter

your ping on wow will never be as low as your ping in say, a fps game server. depending on the server your in, 300 is actually only abit higher than the average. if you currently get about 300, turn interleaving off like suggested, and you should get 150-200 ish, which is normal/good for wow
use a cable aswel, may help with your ping too, and will help keep it stable at least
bonmeggie
Dabbler

Use they ping registry fix to, took my ping from 300ms+ to around 80ms. WoW also sucks for a lot of peolpe on Plusnet atm at peak times so dont expect to get great pings till they sort their issues out to.
wowgamer

Just wanted to add FYI:
World of Warcraft traffic is NOT being prioritised by Plusnet at present.
17 November
"Our products team are currently in communications with our 3rd party traffic management supplier in relation to this issue. Further reports from our customer base has highlighted a potential packet signature detection issue with current WOW packet versions.
We hope to have this issue fully rectified in due course."
2 December
"This is still being investigated. We did roll-out a change but this does not seem to have fixed the underlying issue. I can only apologise at the time this is taking to fix for you."

This is the least of our worries.  We should be more concerned about http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=broadbandnetwo
No updates to this in the last 7 days?  Come on Plusnet.  How much patience do you expect from your customers?  This has been going on far too long.
So in reply to the original question, this ^^ is what is causing your high latency and I don't think there is anything you can do about it.  I wish you good luck in keeping your raid alive.