cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireshark and Windows 7

Lozart
Dabbler

Wireshark and Windows 7

I posted elsewhere regarding horrendous pings in OpFlash2 and when trying to use Hamachi (VPN), but it seems that Wireshark doesn't work in Windows 7 x64. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternative to supply data to PN support?
Cheers
Loz
12 REPLIES 12
SparckZero
Grafter

Re: Wireshark and Windows 7

Lozart,
When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? Does it fail to install or will it not run once installed? I'm using it fine on my Windows 7 x32 machine (although I have to right-click and "Run as Administrator" in order to be able to start a capture...)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just download Wireshark 1.2.3 64 bit and WinPcap (I didn't have it installed before so I didn't need to remove the earlier verson first) with no problems at all and it didn't need any special privileges to work with no problems on Windows 7 64 bit
However Kaspersky Security 2010 wasn't too happy during the install (suspicious driver behaviour - but I have it on interactive mode so I allowed it) and when starting so I moved it to trusted and following that there were no problems at all.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I concur with what Jim says, I'm running Wireshark on Windows 7 x64 without any problems at all.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Lozart
Dabbler

When I start Wireshark, all I get is a splash screen which disappears as soon as the progress bar disappears. Granted I have not used the software before, but I would expect to see something actually running.
I have tried running as administrator and setting it to run in Vista SP2 compatability mode as well (workaround posted elsewhere for the WinPCap installer) but it seems to make no difference.
Lozart
Dabbler

Also is everyine that is having no problem running Wireshark running W7 Home Premium x64?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes I am with
Try disabling you security package when opening it
Odd I just opened it and it advised that my NPF driver isn't running - goes away to find out what that means
edit - needed to start it using "net start npf" having started cmd.exe with administrator rights
Lozart
Dabbler

Turned off AVG, NPF is running OK but I still get nothing past the splash screen when I start WS.
Lozart
Dabbler

Right, from here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/problems-wireshark-1-2-windows-7-x64-t135182-pid-884705.html&s=c05fc069054...
Apparently if NPP Tools isn't installed, it won't work. Ran the WinPCap-nmap-4.02.exe and now WS starts.
Lozart
Dabbler

hooooookay, so WS started, but now anywhere I try and clcik on it all I get is a redirection to a web page with instructions on how to set up a capture  Huh
Lozart
Dabbler

hmmm....shut it down and now I can't start it again.
Wireshark fail.
Lozart
Dabbler

Installed WS on my work lappy (Vista business x32) and it works fine, so I'll try and run a trace with that tonight.
Discord
Grafter

I have exactly the same problem.  Win 7 64 Pro
Wireshark splash screen appears and 2 secs later.. vanishes.
Can't see anything in task manager related to Wireshark.  Re-installed, re-booted.  Turned off NOD32.  Nothing.  Nought. Zip. Nada
Using latest version 1.2.3 and downloaded the 64bit version.
Humph