cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router for PS3?

nick01

Wireless router for PS3?

My son has just purchased a PS3 and wishes to go online. Any recomendations for best wireless router to use.
cp:red Please do not use all CAPS in titles, as it is rude. See link:rules mod:end
7 REPLIES 7
scootie
Grafter

Re: Wireless router for PS3?

most will be fine sum may have the odd problem like all gadgets do.
best thing to do would be to sell the ps3 and get an xbox 360 lol no only kiddin.
if u google (best router for ps3) u will get alot of forum theards. 
one person says they had problems with one model why another will say they had it 2 years never had a problem.
so hit and miss with routers.
if u have any problems with the router u buy make shaw u check you have the latest firmware or if an earlyer frimware version works better than the new one and revert back to it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Whatever you do do not by a Netgear DG834PN these are the worst routers to use with a PS3 as the controllers knock out the wireless signal. I had to replace mine when I got a PS3.
Also if possible the PS3 works slightly better with an ethernet cable into the router.
I have a BT 2700HGV now, though I did need to unlock it.
Netgear DG834G works OK, a few friends have those.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

ive got the net dg834g v4 works fine.
(Whatever you do do not by a Netgear DG834PN these are the worst routers to use with a PS3 as the controllers knock out the wireless signal. I had to replace mine when I got a PS3.)
adiewoo did u try and change the channel that your router was broadcasting on.
all thoe dg834pn gets rubish reviews every where for one reason or another.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yeah I tried changing the channels, it only didn't affect the PS3 on 1 (channel 11 works best for me) - however that caused issues with other wireless devices.
New router is sat fine on Channel 11 with no issues for any device.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobboulby
Grafter

I've got one of those (a son) as well !
I too am using a Netgear DG834G. I had to upgrade the firmware to v4.01.37 - this fixes a bug where the router cannot connect wirelessly to a PS3 using WPA-PSK encryption.
My main problem was that because the PS3 was about as far away from the router as is possible in our house, I was getting only about 25% signal strength. It worked ok but sometimes I was getting poor download speeds.
I've just installed some Netgear HDX101 Powerline Adapters and things are much better. I got them second hand off ebay for £33.
Bob
lyndonp
Grafter

My son has a PS3 and we have the original Netgear DG834G (i.e V1) and it works great on wireless. Have recommended DG834G to friends and others as they are very reliable routers.
You won't go wrong with the DG834G even if it is only 54mbs. Can't say how good the DG834GT (108mbs) is with a PS3.
Currently  the DG834G is £38-99 on ebuyer, which is a good price for the kit - I was earlier looking for father-in-law....and no, he doesn't use a PS3! Grin
Oh and like others posters have said, make sure you update it to the latest firmware.
TornadoRush
Dabbler

I have a PS3 and Wii connected to a DLink 2640B and it works really well.  This router has proved to be much better than my previous experiences with the following routers I tried - Netgear N series, Linksys G series and BT Home Hub.  Netgear gave me issues with port forwarding and I kept getting level 3 ssues with the PS3. The Linksys had issues maintaining stable wireless and the Home Hub was free and I got what I paid for!