Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows wireless laggy pings

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows wireless laggy pings

I am sure all you experts know about this but I just spotted it in another forum and it may be of assistance
http://www.counterfeitculture.com/how-to/how-to-fix-windows-wireless-polling-lag/
In order for Microsoft to deliver their seamless roaming experience, WZC must actively maintain a list of networks within radio range. It accomplishes this by programmatically polling for available networks every sixty seconds with the probe request sequence. In situations — such as the home or office — where roaming is not required, the user has no need of an updated network listing. Nevertheless, the end-user is guaranteed a period of high latency and packet loss every sixty seconds. While such a design philosophy does little to interrupt the experience of browsing, downloading or email-retrieval, it is obvious and debilitating for more latency-sensitive applications such as gaming.
While the issue has persisted with considerable evidence to warrant a closer look, Microsoft maddeningly denies any issue. As early as 2004, Microsoft’s lead product manager in Microsoft’s Windows division remarked that “[They] don’t have data that suggests Windows XP drops wireless connections more than any other system.” He goes on to say that “Wi-Fi configuration in Windows XP is much different and easier than in previous versions.” In the interim, hundreds of hotfixes and numerous service packs have left the presented issues unresolved.
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Windows wireless laggy pings

Gaming over wireless on any platform is woeful and should be banned.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Along with PS3's.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Jealousy doesn't become you Mr Bailey
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

i use WLAN optimizer to stop the auto searching off windows no ping spikes for me every 30 seconds or so
you can also disable the wlan auto config service to get the same affect