cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wii Broadband Speeds Hit The Floor!!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Wii Broadband Speeds Hit The Floor!!

Can a member of plusnet staff take a look at how the Wii is categorised on the Plusnet Traffic Shaping, I done a speedtest on mines last night and barely hit 1mb download with 0.16 Upload!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
9 REPLIES 9
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Wii Broadband Speeds Hit The Floor!!

over wireless im assuming?
things on the wii should be prioritised in the same way, e.g. browsing = browsing, gaming = gaming, (as in, same as the pc platform)
are you using anything else on wifi, does it see the same drop in performance?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes its over wireless and its the only thing I have wireless, My pc is hard-wired and sees speeds of no less than 6.5mb D.L.
matt_2k34
Grafter

have you tried changing the channel of the wireless?
Are there many accesspoints (which arent yours) locally (e.g. neighbours etc.)
a speedtest on the wii should be classed identically as one on your machine, id put the problem initially over the wireless connection - its secure?
cant remember, does the wii have an ethernet port to try it hard wired? (or did they sell these seperate, hmm)
Try tweaking the channel on the wireless, and see if it has any improvement. Also have you tried anything else to improve the speed?
Bustermagic
Grafter

Matt, the ethernet port is an add-on but worth it if you have alot of WIFI activity in your area, or like me, had a kid next door trying to boot me off my router every other minute
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I've tried changing channels etc, My Wii is about six foot away from my Netgear router, I have not got the add-on to try it wired, The only thing between my Wii and router is a plasterboard wall, I hope Plusnet can check that the Wii is still being categorised correctly because barely hitting 1mb on a 6.5 line is unacceptable.
matt_2k34
Grafter

mate, plusnet manage the traffic, not the originating device.
As i stated above, if its web, it will be classed as web traffic - if you notice that Youtube or iplayer (for example) is not running smoothly, it wont run smoothly on your wired PC either
The only way you could check would be to put the wii through the computer using ICS- and running a wireshark capture to check your end. as far as PN will be concerned, a rule will not have been removed without good reason. So traffic should be managed correctly.
Sorry, but to me it sounds like the issue lies with the throughput of either the wireless on your router or the wii.
Cheers
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Strange my Router And Wii are both only a couple months old!
matt_2k34
Grafter

it may not be either, when i said throughput, it could either be the router and wii dont particularly communicate well (normally only an issue on real cheap routers where they perhaps havent 'stuck' to standards too well  Roll_eyes )
OR there is alot of wireless traffic in the air which is meaning it is having to retransmit alot of the data (hence slow speed).
things which could cause interference include, but are not limited to:
Video Sending equipment
Digital telephony equipment
Any device which is poorly grounded against EMI/RFI
Other wireless kit.
Your neighbours, and any of the above they have Smiley
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My router certainly was not cheap, Its the new N Netgear router and I don't have it on wireless N as the Wii is not capable of wireless N, will check out the other things you have mentioned and see if I can improve things. Just a drastic drop when I speedtest my pc I get 6.5 DL and the Wii barely hits 1mb, Thanks for your advice.